AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Riata Saturday
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:21 am 

After all the Chief harping and Lipping was said and done, ball was played today, and not half bad ball, either.

A couple times I had to sit out 2-3 games. We're all gonna have to learn about that. As it gates later in the day, things will coalesce. Have patience, and faith.

Damn, it's a tough call, but it has to be done--superteams only get to go 3 games before it's mix it up time.

That being said, one memorable game today involved game 3 for the super team vs. me Mikey, Jess, Creepy, and 2 newer guys. We were down 1-6. At 3-10, one of the "new guys" on our team, who used to play during Riata weekday ball, took the damn game over. Serves were nice--10 in a row.

Guess what happened the next game? We got punked by punks! It happens, but it shouldn't! I don't like comebacks--I'd rather lead from the front, hold the lead, and keep it, until the game is done.

So... who were the scrubs in that game? We were!

Also, the easiest way in a big pool like Riata to make sure that you're not playing with scrubs is to invite people with skills that can be developed to play.

The thing that shocks me, because I'm obsessed, is that they often don't wanna. Weekend warriors won't get any better or last out there...

I guess all you can do is try to teach them, which means talking to them about the game in the hope they'll listen, and be honest about them needing to be dedicated to getting trigger time.

On a side note, I'm told I went 15-0 today. I've been chasing that dragon for 7 years. It's nice to have goals, and occasionally, meet them.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:42 pm 

i thought saturday was a good one. there was some good ball being had early in the day. the window from 4 to 6 saw the best action.

i see four options on these two variables (re sitting)

1) 2 or 3 games and done
2) upon being done your team is re-orged and you stay or you have to leave the pool.

me, i like 2 games and out of the pool. that will increase the rate of play, the attention span of those not playing, and get more people playing at a higher rate. thats my vote.

and also - if you show and are waiting - please get organized on having next. get a shirt, get a team, be clear.

congrats on the 15/0 chief. never thought i'd see that one again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:12 am 

Behaviors can be modified, but you'll never take this out of the players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI6sARmxEuc

Death from above! Fire down below!