AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: splitting our forces
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:39 am 

In military terms, not the best of ideas. But in terms of keeping a rebel base open, it works.

Captain Jethro is convinced Deerfield is the new Argosy. I commend his passion.

I would like to see the place become open for business one weekday--say, Big Thursday. There are enough south siders now to make that work.

However, scold that I am, let me remind you of some things...

One of the reasons Argosy went down was years of overuse. It sounds like you have an ally in resident Rob TMP (two minute potty break). Sooo, elect him chief there, give him suggestions, but always salute and make him think he runs the show. Because he does, actually. No one, and I mean no one, outranks a resident. It's just a fact of life. The minute people who live there feel excluded, the hate starts building...

Second, and adjunct to the aforementioned, best to arrive by invitation, rather than just showing up when you please. Get phone numbers, and text to schedule games. Hack the gate and bathroom codes. Ain't hard, is it?

Third, remember the concept of BBG, invite resident Rob to play in one, and apply it. You win a couple in a row, or play a couple of games that involve just Argosy players, get out, and let the scrubs have their fun. That's smart ball, actually.

I am equidistant between the two venues. And, since I'm getting that there are many southsiders who do not wish to participate at Riata, for good reason, I will split my time between the two venues to show the AWVP flag--weekday (?) south, Saturday south, Sunday north.

Being a chief is about teaching. And sometimes, that means you don't get to maximize your own fun.

I'm not lobbying for which venue is better, who is right or wrong here, or even trying to draw players one way or another. I'm just saying what I'm going to do.

Don't Mirage this place.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:45 am 

Jess and Scott have exchanged numbers with Resident Rob and Rob will be going to Scott's place tonight for cards.

Sunday ball at Deerfield was ok. No music and average games. Wescott, Scott, Kent, Jess, Kristy, Dan, Resident Rob, Resident Stuart. It's very laid back there. I don't think Management was around on Sunday.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:56 pm 

Um, management wasn't around a lot on Saturday and Sunday when we played at Argosy, either--the haters have eyes, and tell tales.

I met Rob again at Scott's. He's been there 5 years. Fun ball will probably convince him to stay. Which is good. Seems like a good guy and a decent player.

So you're okay for this year. What are your plans for next year, and the next, and the next?

Because burning a place down and looking for another one is not what we do.

I can see a couple incentives here--convenience for you southsiders, and experience: wow, Deerfield's a pretty cool place. You don't want it to go down like Argosy did, do you?

And now the stick: because if it does, you'll only have yourselves to blame, and will be relegated to the Riata again!

I'm not hating, I'm administrating! Keep your numbers small at the beginning, your music low, your presence limited to dark-thirty, your footprint light (clean up after yourselves, and even others, lest you get blamed), your profile low (gotta get gate and bathroom codes, otherwise it's going to be pretty clear there are interlopers)--such behavior will avoid the problems I had to deal with at Argosy for the last 8 years or so.

Deerfield is a decent sandbox. Pretty sure you guys won't poop in it, but accidents have been known to happen...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:51 am 

You know what a major problem was at the Argosy? The pool's located right next to lots of apartments. That led to noise complaints. The pool should have some separation from residential units. Simple architecture. 8)

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:01 am 

Chief wrote:
I'm not hating, I'm administrating!

:butthead:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:20 pm 

True. they could've put it in that weird far corner of the parking lot where no one ever parked and that they usually used for giant trash bins. But Argosy was a small place with limited space.

Methinks they went more with Foucault's panopticon concept--right next to the office means they can be the all knowing all seeing eye on what goes on out there, even though they ignored absolutely everything except watervolleyball.

Well, it should be fun to see how you anti-authoritarians deal with Deerfield. You certainly didn't like Riata, because there were too many people that sucked and wouldn't follow the rules--that's no way to go through life, son!

Back to Deerfield.... You, see, the Panda Way of Ball has many rules, and we make people follow them, because our rules are better and lead to more fun than none at all or the rules they have in place, and if they don't, we blast em in the face with volleyballs. Pretty authoritarian if you think about it. Because we're an elitist organization that can be inclusive, if you display the right skills and proper motivation...

And if you see drunk ass fools or kids hanging on the net, are you gonna stop em? You'll be haters! Sure, they'll ruin it for everybody, but you'd be telling someone what to do, man...

For hatin' on adminstratin' y'all can respectfully bite me. Compared to the barbarians or irregular forces we run into everywhere else, Argosy ballers are decidedly professional and display at least a paramilitary level of organization. That leads to victory, and to many people hating us. Makes us good mercenaries, too. For, when we are split up and get into games, we are able to improve the teams we are on through efforts at organizing and administrating them.

You seem to think Argosy developed organically and without hassle. I'm here to tell you that ain't true. Pretty confident the same mistakes won't be made twice, but it remains to be seen what you'll do with Deerfield. Maybe you can play ball there every night until midnight and get away with it--so why not try? Well, I can think of a few reasons--cue picture of dead Argosy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:32 am 

I'm confused. Who are the anti-authoritarians in this league? Wait, who are the authoritarians for that matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:37 am 

What are we doing wrong again? :scratchinghead:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:18 pm 

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, I was given a moonmoticon for mentioning administrating.

Wouldn't be the first time: "Chief is a poopy head, and I like cheese" has been a familiar refrain when I bring up operational and logistical aspects of watervolleyball that don't actually involve playing watervolleyball, but are integral to the ability to keep playing watervolleyball.

Maybe it's because I'm a broken record, and all pandas have already "got it." Really? A certain story from the last days of Argosy involving late night play and a broken lamp make me think this is not so.

Because, the way I see it, if you're Argosy management, or management anywhere, and you're debating the pros and cons of an amenity such as watervolleyball, any little mistake on the part of dedicated players has been blown up by geometric proportion in the "con" column.

So you have to be careful early, not later, when it's too late, and negative opinions have formed and fossilized.

This can prove difficult, and may involve some self-editing. You may find yourself among residents who don't give a shit. Well, how long have they lived there? How long have they played watervolleyball? If they are going to be loud, drunk, and play late and sloppy, probably short timers. You may find yourself telling these people they can do what they want, but it ain't wise, and you will set an example by getting out of there.

Deerfield Rob is a good example. Apts suck, but ball is fun. That sounds quite familiar to me... However, in his 5 years there, from what I've seen, there hasn't been any organized ball. So, his world is about to change. And with it, the world of those who live there.

You will probably find yourself with some allies, people who have skills and want to learn, that you can work with. They should be encouraged. However, the crowd with water wings and no reason to be on a court beyond whim and recreation will be discouraged. They may take umbrage with a bunch of guys who are good but don't live there telling them what to do and basically driving them off "their" court. They may complain about this.

This is not an unprecedented situation. Remember the pool floaters at Argosy who refused to leave the court and 4 of them denied like 12 people the opportunity to play because they were "there first?"

Philosophy 101--with rules and authority comes rebellion. But, increasingly, Pandas, besides being the dreamers of dreams, you are the rule makers, and administrators. This is because you bring the best game in town and all now have extensive experience in the pool. You know what works and what doesn't, and even though you haven't quite figured out when to hold em, fold em, walk away, or run, you're getting the idea of what might get you in trouble and burn your own playhouse down. And, maybe, just maybe, you'll be willing to advise a non-panda with a book of matches and an anti-authoritarian attitude NOT to do so either.

Just a thought...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:20 am 

Chief, roll up a big Willie Nelson doobie and chillax

:towlie:

Everything is going well as far as I know, and Resident Chris hasn't even played with us yet. We're behaving ourselves and making friends over there.

We know what we're doing. We're professionals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:19 am 

Jethro, my friend, Jethro...Why do yall beat around the bush so much?!?Keep the wild boy at a decent decible, and guess what, the Pandas dont draw as much attention...

He knows, we know it, yall know it...

Hi Jess!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:52 am 

The question I ask myself is, "Is our children learning?"

The answer, thankfully, is yes. Thanks for doing the right thing guys. Keep it up.