AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: May day, May day
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:15 pm 

Well, pandas, especially Riata pandas (Dub, I'm talking to you), I was a little disappointed at the start of things today. I was the first one there, at like 3:15, and no one else made it until after 4.

I am not Chief of Riata, but, since I have extensive experience in the field, I ran things anyway.

Very scrubby early on. But eventually a couple of non panda teams formed, and it looked like there were some people who knew what they were doing. I played on 2 of them.

Finally, a squad showed up: Wescott, Jess, Ford, Dan, Ronin Steve, Mikey, later Lloyd, Navy (long time, sailor), Dave, Scott.

So we assembled, and took out the winners 15-4. Jess took the first hit and played with the new guys. They wanted a run back. Second game didn't start out so well for the bad guys... The team we beat handily game one were strategizing, setting up their lineup, calling plays. Good, that's exactly what you should be doing. We were down 0-6. But Mikey, after forgetting how to serve and putting 5 into the net, figured it out, and whipped out like 5 crucial points to close it.

Next there were some entertaining springy youngsters--some of them reminded me of little T2s. They did not do so well, but they had some skills that could be developed.

The guy who ran the first team came over to me and congratulated us, saying, "That's the first time my team has ever lost." Clearly he's never heard of us...

Which is a good thing and a bad thing. First, the good news: for a pre-opening day, there are some people at Riata who have an interest in water volleyball, and have what I would describe as a Riata Steve skill level. That means we can work with them, and develop their talents. And the youngsters, there were six of them as well (first team was a bit older). So, people, help me out with this. Why am I basically the only one trying to tell them that this is an organize thing that occurs every weekend, and they should come out? I would like some help from those of you who are younger and don't have the authoritarian baggage I have to carry around to help with recruiting : ) These people are not the enemy after the score gets to 15. Sparta needs soldiers...

The bad thing is, these people have never heard of us? That means we're not doing our job properly! After 20 years, our reputation should precede us. Conquer, mix up squads, recruit, befriend. These are our goals, basically in that order...

Other potential problems--though they were absent when I arrived and just kind of wandered about, new security--armed again, I think with tasers. I think we will be ok tomorrow with the new peeps we met, but I'm still a big fan of having local support for our efforts who we know will be there before we start rolling in (wherefore art thou, Dub?)

Also, some controversies over the rules--mainly about net serves. They deferred to the "old guy" early on in deciding whether it was rally or side out and how many we played to (old guy? There must've been someone standing behind me), but there were issues over net serves. I don't have enforcement power up there--I take my limited role in trying to get games moving but not overstepping my bounds very seriously. Tbone will have to set new people straight on what the rules are next weekend.

There were at least 10 guys we could work with out there, none of whom I recall playing against before, so it could be the start of a very good season.

So, back to the games, for which there is film, for the first time in a long, long time... Notable achievements--Scotty took a play over while smoking--still smoking at the end of it. Little Dave blocked Big Lloyd. Lloyd had a pretty good day as a hitter. Jess's serves were pretty darn solid, although I think he needs to develop a change-up mid range option. Ronin Steve was also serving well. Dan was pounding it down in front line town, and he and Ford also introduced the dink and knuckler to the new guys. Anything I left out? Feel free to chime in, and I hope we will have some new video to watch on the site and youtube soon.

We're a bit rusty, but everyone did their part. For my part, I am just glad to be back in action again after what seems like forever and to still be able to start in this league at my advanced age.

See you all tomorrow.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:51 am 

I've got shoulder pain. Yesterday it was major shoulder pain and projectile liquid vomit :vom:

First day of ball + partying till 3 = shoulder and neck pain

I did profit $55 at Texas Hold 'Em though :P

I need a massage. :roll:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:18 am 

I'm excited about the game film. I've worked on it a little. Jess and I will work together on it. I'm going to start a channel on vimeo.com and upload lots of our stuff. Youtube isn't very nice about using copyrighted music in videos so I'm going to go with Vimeo. I'm going to change up our AWVP TV section of this site. The streaming video thing is going away. It will be a more organized aggregation of videos that you can click on and watch the one you want. I've got 3 games recorded from Saturday.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:16 pm 

Most excellent innovation, although I was told there would be no math...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:20 pm 

Also, my lower back hurts, starting both days at the end and continuing today. I sure hope I'm not getting old 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:34 pm 

One video is up!

http://www.watervolleyball.net/AWVP_TV.htm

My name's Dan