AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The word is given
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:44 pm 

Attention Pandas,

We have Jared to thank for this. There I was, drunk and bored, and I got a call that he was going to try to get game at the Riata.

But it is far, and I have had many beers...
But it will be cold, and the game will suck...

You know what I did? I went anyway. Because volleyballs don't hit themselves, and excuses are like assholes--everyone has one.

Because I had something lodged in my memory, something I used to do.. there was a word for it... What was that word?

Wait! I remember--BALL. B A L L. It's something I do. It's something WE do!

I have an institutional memory that is longer than anyone's here. Out of small beginnings can come glorious things.

So I arrived at 4:30, and spent about 20 minutes marching up and down the square. Until slowly, very slowly, players began to arrive. One, then 2, eventually 12.

By Riata standards, a fine game was had. Though it was cold, no one quit. There were no drunken floaters among the contestants. Everyone tried to do their part.

Big lead by the team that me and Jared played on went away--tied 14-14. We were at point several times but couldn't close it. Eventually, victory 18-16. I can think of worse preseason starts.

In fact, I heard Tbone and Jared played last weekend! When was the last time you heard of anyone getting a jump on us in terms of trigger time???

I fear for this league. We lost our base, but what did they do in Star Wars when that happened? Build another one! That has not happened, and it is something that we all need to focus on...

A topic for another time. Here's what's important: Riata is open for business, starting next Sunday at 3. TBone sanctioned play. The more of you that show up, eager, semi sober, and ready for a crack at the Persians, the better games will be.

I can also tell you this. The water is cold, but playable. And playing again feels amazing. Waters doth heal, even those waters. As some of you know, I've been going through a lot of off the field issues recently. It was very therapeutic to be able to forget all of the things that are going on in the real world and just--play--ball.

Of course, everyone chooses their own level of involvement... I can only say this: Next Sunday around 2:30, I will head north, to the hot gates, and stand in 4 feet of water, where their numbers will count for nothing.

It would be agreeable if you joined me in battle. If not, I will fight alone. My name is CHIEF, and I AM a ball player!

In case any of you need a reminder, this is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKMG-FdCGtM

Strength and honor, children!

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:54 am 

Nice 1st AAR of 2013 "Season"...I put season like that because many pandas seem to be broken of will, body, and regressing talent (ie Jess)...This is week 5 of rehab for me after another knee surgery...

Not the type of rehab needed by many Pandas that might fix our water vball attendance and late 2013 start issues...Ha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:56 pm 

The Lip wrote:
many pandas seem to be broken of will, body, and regressing talent

Sounds like you're talking about yourself

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:12 pm 

The Lip wrote:
Not the type of rehab needed by many Pandas that might fix our water vball attendance and late 2013 start issues...Ha!

It's been cold this year dummy.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:10 pm 

I know the Lip has a bad rep on this site, but I'm going to stick up for some of what he said on this occasion.

It has NOT been cold this year. Global warming, or Jebus, or the Gods in Valhalla, whathaveyou, have blessed us with weather that makes watervolleyball possible earlier and earlier.

But we have not been playing.

You all know damn well that, if Argosy was open, we'd have been there, in increasing force, starting around March.

So, what is different from 2011? Think about it... it's the elephant in the room...

The Argosy is GONE, get it? It's not coming back. Not ever.

The Lip is right. There is a disturbance in the Force.

You Pandas grew up in an era of free security, Pax Chiefus--19 years of a reliable venue.

Think about what TBone, the Lip, and the Ronins are used to, in terms of watervolleyball being a crime, because that's where we are now.

"Chief is a poopy head, and I like cheese" isn't going to work for you anymore. My posts will back this up, if you care to do your research. I've been saying, for YEARS, that we need to expand to other venues. No one listened...

I also tried for years to set up a fallback position at the Riata. Often, in my last year as Chief of the Bismark/Argosy, by doing dual time at both pools. And Pandas hated me for it. Thank you Riata residents, and shame on you Pandas for not understanding what I was trying to do.

So, Riata's all we've got right now, and that is somehow Riata's failure? Or my failure?

Look in the mirror, Pandas. This is an egalitarian and merit based association. What is stopping any of you from finding another venue, and making something better happen?

The Lip is right again. I sense a crisis of willpower, and commitment. If memory serves, the Lip was a chief for one year. Tbone has been around for a couple of years now. I did it for 19. Anyone else want to step up to the plate, or do you just want to "lip"?

I love watervolleyball. I fully intend to play until I am old man Dick's age. Wherever and whenever I can. I don't expect any of you to show that kind of commitment. But you have to show some kind of commitment, right?

Also, don't make fun of injured people. I understand the whistling in the dark aspect of it, but it ain't fun to be sidelined. And it is not efficacious to try to come back before you are healed. Trust me, I know.

That being said, here's where the Lip and I part company. Most Pandas quit reading long ago, so this is largely falling on deaf ears.

It's all well and good to snipe at commitment when you don't have much. Even before he got hurt, the Lip was largely absent from games. Presumably because he had something "better" to do.

Everyone chooses their own level of involvement! But here's the thing--I can understand the gay man love thing for sanders. That's increasingly tolerated in society, and legal in many states...

But the disrespect that is thrown at those of us who play in 4 ft of water... that's what wears on me. I grew up on the beach in Cali. I know it's hard to get into a game. I know it's a different game. A more difficult game, with different rules. And I have played some sand, and rightly been criticized for my performance when it wasn't up to par. When that happened, I tried harder..

You know what I didn't do? Start popping off about how the game is stupid (minus the amazing physics of sand sets) and not worth my time, because the people who are playing against me are inferior. I said, "Yes sir," and tried the best I could as a sand rook to not suck. When in Rome...

So, why can't the sanders do the same? If their skills are superior, they should be able to prevail, easily, even if they don't give a shit?

Instead, here's what history shows you I call it simple physics--what happens when you put sand into water? SAND sinks to the bottom. Every time.

Lippy has casually informed me on more than one occasion that our motley crew is defeating the best sand players in the city. I understand the difficulties in transition between venues, but, as superior athletes, with superior skills, they should prevail. Every time. But they dont'.

Does that make us the best watervolleyball players in the city? Dunno, because I'd always like to find someone better, even if it means we lose or I don't start.

Just a thought, Lip: if you like playing ball, water is less harsh on your knees than sand. You may rejoin us some day after all...

Let me reiterate--I LIKE WATERVOLLEYBALL. I will be playing on Sunday. And those who choose NOT to join me will hold their manhoods cheap compared to those who did. Unless maybe you went out and killed a bear in hand to hand combat...

I was reliably informed that people who read this forum like to play ball. If you'd rather do something else, that's your choice. There is no contract, there is no fight to get into, except the one you want to get into. Your time is your own.

I can only speak for myself. I choose to fight. Who's with me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:29 pm 

It has been cold this year Chief.

The Lip hardly plays. He gets on the website and ridicules us and then you take his side.

Jess and I go check out other pools and post photos and locations and you say no one listens about expanding to other venues.

I'm sick of the bitching and complaining.

A suggestion I can think of right now is to behave ourselves at the Riata. If we lose that pool we lose a lot. Yes it sucks we lost the Argosy, but I remain hopeful that it will one day have a net again. We are thinking about other possible venues so please stop saying no one listens.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:52 am 

Chief wrote:
It has NOT been cold this year. Global warming, or Jebus, or the Gods in Valhalla, whathaveyou, have blessed us with weather that makes watervolleyball possible earlier and earlier.

It's been colder than a gut-shot bitch wolf dog with nine sucking pups dragging a No. 4 trap up a hill in the dead of a winter in a snowstorm with a mouthful of porcupine quills.

Global Warming is a lie!

:roflmao:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:54 pm 

Weather gods are cruel. With rain the day before, Tbone out, Sunday being mother's day, and not hitting 80 until like 3:30, plans were undone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 am 

I'll be ready to ball this weekend. Nice and hot!

What's the plan?

Let the games begin! :woohoo:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:16 am 

Riata. What choice do we have? If we don't have Tbone, we have Jared, who seems to have papal dispensation up there, and Dub.

All we need is someone to let us through the gate. The rest, shall we say, takes care of itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:11 am 

Chief wrote:
What choice do we have?

Deerfield
City View
Hillside Creek
Gaines Ranch
La Mirage
Northwest Hills
Lincoln Oaks
Westdale Creek
Shadow Glen
San Paloma
College Park at the Landings
Pinto Creek
Logans Mill
Silvercreek
Canyon Oaks
Coppertree

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:32 pm 

Are we ballin' on Saturday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:04 am 

I certainly hope so. A lot of those choices are red herrings. You'll be accosted by security at Lincoln Oaks in a New York minute. A lot of the other ones are barely playable.

But, if someone wants to make another choice, call it down. Is Artisan on that list?