AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dub Day AAR
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:46 pm 

Apparently rumors of Dub's demise have been wildly exaggerated. So he now has a bon voyage card we can all sign when the time comes, hopefully not of a long time yet.

Let me start things off by trying to explain as best I can the hitter-blocker rule. Think of it kind of like the "don't block the set" rule we borrowed from Riata--now most people have come to agree that this is a pretty good rule and don't complain about it much, right??? Even though there can be cases where the person who is attempting to set has not actually touched the ball while the person over the net has. But if it's close, and especially if you call "setting" then it's yellow card on the over the net poacher.

Maybe an even better analogy might be the "way too over the net" (like armpit over) rule, which is rarely applied, but sometimes still is--I'm looking at you, Creepy.

The toughest thing to determine is how much in the net is actually "in the net" But we don't do a lot of bitching about this one, either.

Well, think of hitter blocker the same way. It's a rule designed to penalize people for coming over the net big time, even if the actually do "hit it first" It's also supposed to help some of the smaller hitters, who are sometimes hitting below the top netline. If I'm going up to hit a pass on my side of the net and somebody taller "gets there first" by coming over the net and blasting me, that's not exactly fair, is it?

Now part of this relies on involves the accuracy of the setter--if someone on your team is setting you, but the set ends up on the wrong side of the net--you're no longer the hitter. That makes sense, too, doesn't it???

I know it seems like HB goes against physics, but it doesn't when you think about it, because you are not factoring in the physics of a player's hand/arm being on the wrong side of the net and probably in it, which is a clear violation of a number of sand volleyball bylaws (and we want to stick as close to the real rules as we can).

And let me stress that hitter blocker is rarely invoked. Mostly two guys meet in the middle (a "kong") and we do it up.

So let's go to the big controversial play from last night. From my position directly behind the action in the back row, I saw Dwayne power through Jess and the ball landed out--no problem here--off Jess.

But apparently I didn't see it right. Jess claims he hit it first and it went off Dwayne. But the pass is to Dwayne on his side of the net and Jess is over the net. So Mikey calls "hitter blocker" That would be correct. When one player (1) is on his side of the net and so is the pass, and the other player (2) is over, Player 1 remains hitter EVEN IF Player 2 hits the ball first. Get it? Now if the pass goes on the wrong side of the net and you are going over as well to get it, ROLES ARE REVERSED.

Wow. That's a lot of ink to explain the concept, which is why we don't mess with it very often. Most of you think it's a stupid rule, but I think it's important that it's on the books. Don't even get me started with the naive suggestions I get that go something like this: "Why don't we just not allow people to touch the net?" Puh-Leez. With all the do-overs, we wouldn't get through the first game of the night before the pool closes, and if it cost you a sideout/point, teams could lose games solely on accumulating net violations.

Moving on... I was a bit out of rhythm yesterday. Just couldn't get the sets in the right places consistently. This comes with playing with a bunch of different peeps, and shows how important chemistry can be--I'd call it the theme of the night.

But other players were on--Spoons comes to mind--see what happens when you play more than 2 games and leave the shame phone at home? Mikey tore things up in his role as Swarthy Thunder from the Planet Boozeddup, but injured himself in the process. Strange chemistry was at work--who would've thought the Dynamic Dub Dwayne Duo would work well together. Attorney Scott has evolved into the one armed bandit--apparently injury will help make him a more well rounded player by making him play left handed. Big Shot Rob had some big shot moments. Jess's claim that he scored 90 points during the course of the evening has yet to be verified.

Small ball played pretty competitively against taller teams all night. I didn't play once with Ford, Will, Jess, T2, Scott, Rob, and I think only once with E-Dub, so you can guess what side of the equation I was on.

In our special feature "new talent corner" David is making some pretty impressive progress. He can serve both overhand and underhand, figured out how to spike last night for the first time, blocked Mikey(!), and was able to rotate right into most lineups without costing his team--trust me, that's not always true of new players. Julio kept his serves in and had a couple amazing blocks. I continue to be amazed at the rapid development of the residents who will remain after my departure.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject: Re: Dub Day AAR
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:28 pm 

Chief wrote:
If I'm going up to hit a pass on my side of the net and somebody taller "gets there first" by coming over the net and blasting me, that's not exactly fair, is it?

Sounds fair to me, I do it all the time

:roflmao:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:46 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:23 pm 

:chuckle: Wow yet again
Now about 15 people saw this, and everybody at pool except mikal n chef said our ball :!: I set scotty he hits into dwayne then ball goes out? Yes it was very hard for mike and chef to understand what happend. Just like mikal spiking in the front row. The day dWaYnE blasts threw me is the day chef can remember a accurate aAr. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:29 am 

i love it that you care about the rules.

how is this, you can have the next call. whatever it is. make the best of it now - just don't concuss me again. fucker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:29 am 

Wild Jethro wrote:
:chuckle: Wow yet again
Now about 15 people saw this, and everybody at pool except mikal n chef said our ball :!: I set scotty he hits into dwayne then ball goes out? Yes it was very hard for mike and chef to understand what happend. Just like mikal spiking in the front row. The day dWaYnE blasts threw me is the day chef can remember a accurate aAr. :roll:

also, the most coherent statement ever on your part, for these parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:15 am 

A few News Flash's:

1. If you hit the ball first, you hit the ball first
2. If you can't spike the serve, you can't spike the serve.
3. Profit.
4. Wash your panties :whitietightie:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:52 am 

Just so the facts are straight ... Jess set me the ball (a slight over-set), and I tried to spike it ... at the same time I touched the ball, Dwayne touched it with a two-hand block ... the ball was actually suspended between his two hands and my one hand for a mili-second. Then, as my power pushing forward decreased, Dwayne's power was enough to stay on the ball - which resulted in the ball flying out of the back end of the pool. It was a tie ball for a fraction of a second, but it was obvious who ultimately touched it last - obvious because IT WENT OUT OF BOUNDS FROM THE DIRECTION DWAYNE WAS PUSHING IT ... which is why I said bullshit when someone tried to say it was out on me!! We would have won the game except for that blatant bad call ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:14 pm 

Really? A guaranteed win if it wasn't for the bad call is a very bold statement.

Also, I can see why it was so demoralizing, since every call prior to this one in the 20 year history of this league has been perfect. No frame of reference, Donny!

And if you win, then what? Was that game for the championship? Did you see the stacked team that was waiting for you when you were done?

The team that was waiting violated a number of precedents by declaring winners stayed in. Where's the outrage!?

Did the call knock anyone out of the playoffs? How many endorsement contracts did it cost the losers? By the time this matter works its way through the courts, I won't be Argosy Chief anymore, so you can appeal to Chief Cricket.

He is a wise jurist, who never makes a bad call. Because his ruling on every issue is as follows: "Turn left."

I suggest you do so, with all deliberate speed, rather than take up any more of the league's precious time with this pointless litigation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:50 pm 

Now let's talk about that bullshit slap the ball rule.

Just kidding :goodman:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:52 pm 

i have to get in this because i was one of the ones standing there watching the entire play. me, e dub, and will all agreed. and jess and scott are exactly right

there was a tie up at the net with scott and deewayne. with scott's hand slightly below deewayne's. scott's hand slipped down and deewayne basically flipped the ball forward with his finger tips.

i understand that sometimes the ball is powered throught someone's hands, but you can't make a rule that applies to every play because every play is different

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:19 pm 

Which is why we leave it up to the hitters to call in almost every situation.

Now we have an admission that a hand was "slightly" over the net. Has "slightly" been enough in the past to invoke hitter/blocker? No.

So, where does that leave us? Bad call. Wow! Never seen one of those before! No sir, don't like it.

Recommendation--keep driving. Turn left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:19 pm 

Creepy posted in invisible ink again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:24 pm 

i didnt say he was slight over the net. i said his hand was slightly below deewayne's. which is why his hand slipped down and then dee-weezy flipped it out with his finger tips

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:42 pm 

I was referring to attrny Scott's comment about receiving a slight over-set--I love his avatar BTW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:58 pm 

All of you are retarded. Anyone with a 10 cent head knows that in a BBG that you have to have a speical guest referee. I guess none of you "big dudes" got the message. And as far as 90 points, who the fuck is that against wescott and dwayne? Play real "BIG DUDES", and get the fuck shut down. Faggots. :butthead:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:01 pm 

i get it. dont mess with big dudes. i agree about the avatar. is that new?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:10 pm 

Thanks Ford. Semi-New, it was him or Jason Kidd. I guess LIp already has a claim to that avator, an old, fat, busted player...

:DancingChief:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:58 pm 

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Point is tHiS sOcAlLeD chef had know idea WhO fuKiN dId wHat.
ShE sAy DUhWaYne Got SeT= wroNg
She sAy DuHwAynE BlaSted ThRougH WiLd One=wRonG
shE sAY ouT oN WilD oNE=WronG
HaS EverY AaR BeeN TaiNteD TheN=???????

SO :DancingChief: AnD :damn: I Hit It OUt, ShuT tHe Fuk up When 20 pEEps sAy Our BaLL :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: Spec Guest OR iN This caSe 5 reFs Say Our Ball u GiVith Thy Ball
ThAt Has Always BeEn Thy rule. And mIkal U CanNot Spike When oN front Row, "But Sir I barelY hiT it", or My Fav "I bacKed Up To THe 4" Is Illegall at The Arg, EnlEsS U At RiaTa. WhicH iS Where Yall ShouLd Go, Heard They goT scRubs That Dont Kn ow Ho w To P lA y :scratchinghead:
:woohoo: It Will B juSt liKe n The old Days, before :shark: n WiLD BoYz entEreD :foshizzle:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:19 am 

Is it hard to type like that, it's pretty kewl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:04 am 

holy crap. you people are serious. tell you what. didn't read. who had the bad call? jess? he can get the next 5 calls. i'll ref.

what you mean 'you people'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:47 pm 

guys :?