AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AAR the week past
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:13 pm 

WW had a very competitive BBG to close things out. Attorney Scott and Ford helped drag my sorry ass through a game I didn't play very well, but managed to close out with a W on what must've been the tiniest block ever vs. Hairy Jason. Scotty gets player of the day.

Saturday again saw play both at the Riata and then the Obstacle. I really wish there was more to write home about from Riata--I guess the best thing that can be said is that there are plenty of opportunities for new people to play in a laid back atmosphere. But we professionals can only tolerate this for so long.

So back to the obstacle I marched, with Jared, Carson, and Joe not far behind. The Healing Waters truly do work miracles--Carson's serves went in at the Argosy, where they never do at Riata. In fact, I think he even won his first game, because the team I was on decided to drop 10 points to start things off.

Shay's game continues to improve--I got some tastes of my own medicine courtesy of her with some curve ball serves--medicine tastes bad.

Speaking of bad medicine, I distinctly remember getting some pretty nice blocks going against quite a few peeps at the net on Saturday...

It's nice to see Pants and/or Beth making more appearances--good to see some of the old timers regularly back in action.

Old timer Dick was back in action up at Riata, but sadly, very few other good players were. LJ made an abortive attempt at a return to play, but his fail was rather epic--15-0. I wanted a bit more of this, but I suddenly received SOS messages from the sailor that battleship Argosy was beset by boarders bearing boobery.

Indeed, the reports were true(some pretty nice boobery, too). A new crew run by another resident had taken things over with squishy balls and rally points. So me, Scotty, Navy, Bunny and Jordan played the heretical game of 5s to 21 rally style (it burns!) to teach them the error of their ways. And taught they were, although in a closer match than one would've liked (21-18). Some of the new guys are gaining skills, and Bunny put in a couple of very nice spikes. Inexplicably after this game, Bunny and Jordan bailed, leaving me to face the wrath of the young hotties, who didn't much care for my calling my own shots and rules.

Being unaware that volleyball was ever played in a way that wasn't their way, they did not care for the fact that if you win and you are sanctioned to stay in, you can make rules. Those who do don't like them can go work in the shame mines, and I don't mean the Yellow Rose down the street, although that wouldn't have been a bad suggestion in retrospect.

Once again Sunday was ruled by Scotty and Ford, with honorable mention to Will for the whole series of games last week. Scott absolutely destroyed Lloyd at the net. The Tin Man was scrapped. A rather unremarkable 4s team that included Attorney Scott, Navy, and Jimminy Cricket kept pulling off remarkable wins--so we let the streak keep running through about 4 in a row, including the aforementioned Lloyd, Dwayne, Chief Creepy team.

Scott was moving, serving, hitting and blocking like a fiend. 2nd player of the day award in a week--born again hard. Keep it up.

Only other considerations of note is an attempt to get couples/mixed doubles games of 2s started early, and to revive some of the team competitions of yore, for which a spokesman for the Young Bloods will have to step up and name the next game. And bungy cords for the bottom of the net, dammit!

Feel free to report what I missed. That is all

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:02 am 

That 15 oh game was what Westcott would have kicked trashcans about...Tinman has been done for years, and the rest of my team was unremarkable to say the least, and I mean the least...I think I touched the ball 4 times in that entire game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:26 pm 

I was looking forward to squaring the circle and returning to the team that got blanked, but there was Argosy ball to be played.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:56 pm 

I need to get down to Austin one of the next two weekends. So the plan is usually Riata then Obstacle both days? Does anything get started before 3 on Saturday? No point in speeding down 35 if I'm going to sit and wait for an hour after getting there, but it wouldn't be a problem for me to get there by 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:13 pm 

I cannot control timing at the Riata, but the startup time is indeed usually closer to 3 than to 2. Maybe one of the actual denizens can pipe in on this topic.

But yes, there has been some ball both places both days. Argosy start time has to be late unless there is a large amount of "cover" i.e. other residents and other general miscreants afoot, and for the last couple of weekends, they've been in short supply until late.