AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Season 2010 first AAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:25 pm 

This was a very mixed opener. Lots of missing peeps made it rather difficult to rustle up game, and it RAINED up at Riata on Saturday, delaying things for about an hour. Will held us hostage until things blew over. Neighbor has improved the venue by raising the net. Mikey was showing some signs of the old magic, except for when I blocked him for the game winner.

Return to the Obstacle again provided barely a quorum. Props to Ronins for fighting through some 2's and 3's games. The Chief Wescott 2's team finally graduated from clown college and won a few games.

And there was a sailor sighting! Out of mothballs and a bit rusty, but he played nonetheless. Now that there is a baby sailorette loose upon the land, not sure when he'll turn up next. Hint, all of you check under your beds.

Sunday is a bit of a blur. The obligatory pilgrimage to Riata was made, scrubs were pummeled and talked trash, but developments were definitely afoot at Argosy. Found a second resident who plays (Jim), and put in a fine rookie performance-that makes four Jims, which I fear is another sign of the apocalypse. Jim Back also made an appearance and was his usual energetic self. There was an old school after party which broke Creepy.

By Memorial Day, the Argosy crew was absent or beat up. Mikey and Bunny were drunk. Not so with Riata, which was peppy and packed with players. They put together a big boy team that basically slaughtered all comers. I had no problem leading what was left into battle--8 points were scored a couple of times against them. A happy holiday spirit was in full bloom, except for Carson, who has been cranky of late. Well, son, it took me a few years, but people will give you less shit if you don't show up to play stagger-drunk.

Speaking of drunk, although I really wanted to stay, I'm trying to promote the concept of double duty in terms of shifting back and forth between pools. The ladies tend to like Argosy more because the venue is smaller and they get a chance to play. So I left after about 4 games at Riata and headed to Argosy with Mikey Bunny Jordan in tow, to play about 2 games.

But it was good that it was so. When I arrived, a non-sanctioned game/party was in full swing. I recognized some of these miscreants--unsurprisingly, part of Maggie's farm. They questioned my authority, which was their first mistake. They were drunk, which was their second mistake. Their skill set was subpar, which was the last mistake I allowed them to make, and then I corrected it!

Ronin Steve showed up to aid in the beatdown. Probably the most fun I had all weekend. Additional recruiting options are present. Sean showed up with his friend Travis, who can actually put the ball down. Rookie Jim was not in attendance. Game went on till around 8:30. We'll see what happens on WW.

BTW, any truth to the rumor that Ford and Edub got married this weekend?

Death from above! Fire down below!