AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: August AAR 2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:42 pm 

Weather remains hot hot hot in August week 2. Saturday was a rather long day (I didn't make it out of Riata and back home until after 9). There's been a lot of interest in playing, which is good. But any semblance of order fell apart--the team you picked was never the team you got by the time everyone made it to the pool. The notable success on the day was Team Shorty, featuring the 3 mistresses of disaster, and I'm not talking about Jess, Ford, and T2. This squad pulled off some amazing upsets.

What we were unable to pull off was any big boy games at all. I'm not asking for the world in calling for just one per day. So here's what I propose. Each day on the weekend 2 captains are chosen--they flip a coin to decide who starts to choose from available players to fill their squads, or they can come up with some other mutually agreed method of choosing, like Riata v. Argosy, tall ball vs small ball, age vs youngsters, etc.

Names are written down and that game gets played either at or as close to 5pm as possible every day. Any comments about my little plan?

Sunday had a little bit more organization. But again, with a lot of players, there's going to be a lot of waiting. We had to resort to the "shirt gets next" method, which I think I understand, except when you are already on a team when your shirt comes up.

We also had the interesting query come up about what the rule is if someone calls "setting" and then is not interfered with--I think it revolves around whether anyone on the opposite team stops playing after hearing the call, because, from my interpretation, calling "setting" is intended to stop play.

But this is all a bit watervolleyball wonkish, so on with the day's events.

TJ entertained early by knocking the glasses off a girl's face and flat out knocking down Bob with his spikes. We saw Jeremy and Johnathan return to the pool after some period of absence. Dwayne had some monster hits vs a team of new guys in a game where I showed off some fireworks as well. In another game I was quite surprised to power through Dwayne on 2 successive plays to win the game. I think that was one of the superteam games. There were a couple of them I can recall where Ford's play really stood out. Scotty put in a couple of "Scotty Specials," Carson is developing a good first serve (

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:50 pm 

Oops, trying to do too many things at once! Moving on...

Carson's second serve is really the problem.

Games were fun to play on Sunday--the superteam battle was hard fought and my superteam had to play the almost the time from behind and hold off a couple of game points

Again I'd have to say Team Shorty stole the show with their wins and the quality of play from the ladies with a lot of pool to cover.

Speaking of stealing the show, somebody sure was hitting a lot of juice, because volleyballs which were not the game ball kept landing in the court late in the day, and next thing I know, there's a Nat G and Holly Grove huddled under a table and towel topless like frightened baby birds. Condense the nonsense people. Excessive boisterism had gotten us in trouble and tossed from more than one venue.

I left around dark thirty, when a new light ball had been introduced. What did I miss?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:48 pm 

Oh yeah, and Charlie had a very nice coast to coast hit on Saturday that probably didn't make it on camera because I was standing in front of it(!), as well as some good shut down blocks on Sunday.