AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:01 am 

The Lip returns to the Obstacle after a 2 week or so foray into the world of sanders, no net touching, and the art of bumping which I apparently suck at...Alas, I came back to the Obstacle and added to my legacy of solid team play, better than most winning %, blocks & digs all over the place, and even a few power serves and spikes that are creeping into the 09 repertoire…

Enough of the facts and onto the meat of the WW AAR:

The night started off w/ mixed games of Hellboy’s rookies from CC…decent games w/ some good hits and blocks…Nothing too memorable, except my what I think was a face spike on Ford, but he claims it was not official face…One of the rooks had huge paws…I mean he could barely slap the ball because it would just cradle in his claw looking like a tennis ball in most hands…Thought that was something different to comment on…

A group of safe players returned to the Obstacle from HQ for a 2 out of 3 round of big boy games…The TatooJethroAttyScottLip show vs the CrawfishChiefBigShotRobFord show…The Tatoo team took a close, that wasn’t that close 1st game…The 2nd game came w/ adjustments by the Crawfish team w/ putting both Pt Guards next to each other defying conventional wisdom…Lip pointed out this would cause a 15-8 game completing our sweep…I was almost right…The score was 15-8, but the unconventional lineup took it to us for the victory…The vaunted and much revered rubber match was next…I was hoping that our giggling school girls of Tattoo and Jess would step up this game as they were having their own great time…The 2 pt guard team kept the same lineup and commenced on destroying us building a 12-3 lead w/ Ford pretty much running the show and ruining our team morale what seemed like single handedly…A somewhat drunk and safe Atty Scott (which is almost never a good thing) came up to serve…He ran off a respectable 5 points…12-7 tho which is still a mountain to climb as we were not using our Jethro like we did in the 1st game…We made a verbal commitment to contain Ford, and take advantage of the 2 pt guard side by side alignment by going back to the basics…3 hits and pick on the bad matchups…Needless to say to the victor goes the spoils: 15-13 comeback win for the 2-1 series win went to the TatooJethroAttyScottLip show…

The final series of the night was the BigShotFord show vs WildLip in 2s…This was my 1st foray (and maybe last according to Chief’s recent post about the very bad mgnt news) of season into 2v2…We built an 8-1 lead to only give it all back to a 14-8 deficit…We made a tortured comeback to make the game tight, but succumbed 15-13 due to much serving towards my direction short and deep...2nd game adjustments were made and I don’t remember the score, but it was a decently close game w/ us WildLip tying it up…The 3rd game was kind of a white wash…I got my 2s game legs underneath me, Jess was spiking, and our serves were spot on for a 15-5 victory of this 2nd rubber match of what could be the last night at the Obstacle for a while…Some other notes on the 2s…Man, when people can hit from the 4s like Ford and Jess it changes everything…

Misc: I have noticed that when Tatoo Jim is present the games seem to just be more fun, not necessarily always higher quality, but still competitive and good times…