AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Memorial day weekend AAR
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:56 pm 

Regular season is officially on, everywhere.

Saturday was opening day at the Riata. Argosy team consisted of Jess, Juice, Ford, Spoons, me, and Creepy. We went 1 on 1 vs. the home team. It was good to see Ronin Steve & Ronin Charlie return to the playing field again. Games were, for the most part, pretty good--I snuck in a couple of blocks & spikes, but we were rained out by 5.

Sunday "opening day" at Argosy started out in a promising fashion, with a hearty brunch served up by Mikey-Bunny, but it turned out to be a rather silly day--not much to say about it, except it was difficult to get everyone to play seriously at the same time. Except for the Jesi, who obliterated Ford Tazzy in a 2's match. And there were some good moments with blocks, serves, and spikes by the Rhino. We also witnessed the reappearance of the Deto, who also fared well on his first day back. I'd have to say that almost none of the matchups on this day would've received the Sheriff's seal of approval.

Monday we had better luck with good games, for the much of the silly had disappeared while most of the fun remained. First, Chief-Doc beat Attorney Scott-drunk Deto in an improbable 2's match. OJ Lawnmower demolished Chief Wescott, and, in the (mostly) ladies game of Bunny Pirate vs Chief Jordan, the latter team prevailed in a best of 3 battle. In notable 3s action, the message was, "Respect your elders!," emphatically delivered by Chief Jess Jesus to Ford T2 Wescott. A beautiful if one sided game--Jesus what tossing out thunderbolts on the spikes, Jess masterfully shut down the net, and T1 proved his dominance once again vs the newer model, as well as ripping some nice serves and a couple of spikes as well. Could this be the year that we add "Chief on 2" into the lexicon right beside "2 to Chief?" Adding to the block tally this weekend--1 on both Jesi

Notable firsts--Ford, being unaware the ball was in play, used his hat as a fielding device.

Riata seems to have found some sort of soft cover for their drain. In our own no-frills improvisational Argosy fashion, we threw a mat over the drain, and drain pain goes away.

Jess put forward a useful reminder--the bird poo makes me think of bird flu, which makes me think the birds can nest in any trees they like away from the pool. Anyone who sees those plastic owls for a reasonable price feel free to share this information with the group.

Anyone else with amusing anecdotes the wish to add should chime in on this thread.

And a reminder--what day is it in the ongoing Optimus hostage crisis?

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:59 pm 

I brought some major suck yesterday. I went home in shame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:30 am 

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TBuR1aswfMw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TBuR1aswfMw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:26 pm 

And please dont forget that Team "Argosy" did lose w/ many thumpers on that team...Looks like 2 true pt guards w/ 4 decent to good spikers can beat anyone...Maybe Mikey is what the team needed to get them over the hump...Oh, and the 2nd game did not have our 2 pt guards, so I dont count that one as true rematch...

Early awards standings: Looks like it is Mikey vs Jethro for MVP...Jethro is playing at a whole new level making up for his down year last season after winning the MVP the previous season...

New rule for Server of the Year: Must get at least 3 serves in a row in more than once per playing day to even be nominated...

Pt Guard: This award is being boycotted this year as personal bias and friendships cannot be taken out of the considerations of many of the voters...

Spiker: Another toss up between the last 2 MVPs...On this note I think that statistics on number of times blocked, hit into net, and/or out should be considered along w/ winning %

Defender: Many deserving candidates this season...

Rookie: Still need some worthy candidates this summer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:12 pm 

I like our current method. Get together. Drink a few beers. Vote how you feel about each award. Then drink some more.

If you want to bring a laptop to the pool, open a spreadsheet and start keeping tabs, go right ahead.

No one is going to vote on numbers.

Glitterbug, how clean boys get dirty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:50 pm 

I'd love to see some stats, but it's just not practical. The best thing I can think of is to have the council meeting to pick nominees in late October, maybe even earlier, like after Labor Day, when the memory of what's been going on in the season is a bit fresher than is the case in February or March of the next year.

For next year, if you think the council picked shitty nominees, that's called armchair quarterbacking--next time show up, because that's ALL you have to do to be part of the council. And, as I emphasize every year, there's a write in spot on EVERY ballot where you can cast your vote in ways that do not at all reflect the draconian recommendations of the council you chose not to be on.

I honestly don't see what the problem is, beyond having the awards ceremony so far after the season that what happened is just a dim memory.

Here's an idea everyone should like--have the awards ceremony before the end of the year, then have a second pre-season kickoff party the next year, which would feature game film from last year, giving all our budding RTF peeps months of lead time to get it ready (I still haven't seen anything since March of 2008).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:25 pm 

I like playing water volleyball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:48 pm 

Random clips here:
http://www.youtube.com/txnomad

The sound on my camera phone didn't work, so there's silence. I'll put music over it whn I have time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:57 pm 

One of the things I like about watching these is that we're pretty damn efficient when it comes to keeping the game moving. Most of the time, that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:11 pm 

Wow. There is evidence of the shizzle playing. Too bad it was the worst serve ever. 5-24-09.

Glitterbug, how clean boys get dirty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:17 pm 

It's almost as special as the video that captured the rare appearance of the long-eared jerboa in Mongolian Gobi desert.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22184553/

Post subject: photos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:41 pm 

caption contest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:26 pm 

three comments about those pics...

1. Those were some bottylicous games.
2. OJ is clearly not keeping his foot on the wall while serving.
3. Rhino is surely on roids.

I saw a note from "the lip" earlier in this thread about how the riata boys thumped the argosy gents, nigga please... remember big boy... don't mess with big dudes :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:29 pm 

another comment about pic 1. rhino is playing with himself, steve has his hands ready like everyone should incase of a block or quick return. and big baby... :lol: ... well he is just big baby... i think my baby girl has a larger brain than that retard... thumbless retards, creepy... the final frontier. :goodman:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:50 am 

Oh, it happened...Facts are facts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:44 am 

I think it's the first time Argosy has lost even one game up at Riata--as I think baby Back would tell you--baby steps, people, baby steps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:41 am 

sweet avator creepy, two mintues, she looks like a prize fighter. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:41 am 

Jim Back wrote:
sweet avator creepy, two mintues ago, she looks like a prize fighter. :o