AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gather round, children
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:10 am 

Pandas,

Based on recent texting, it appears we have choices on where we might play this coming weekend.

I hear Cityview, I hear Deer. And there is always Riata.

From my experience, choices confuse pandas. They know not what to do. Even Ford seems confused!

So, as I said in the texting, so I say here. A choice needs to be made. I have no powers at City, or Deer. So all we can do is get some intel, and try one of these venues on Saturday, if that is the will of Panda Corps.

In making the choice, remember this: there are still maybe a dirty dozen or so of is who will show up. Can the venue handle those numbers?

If not, Ford has a point: do we split our forces, as happened last year? Should it come to that, send a smaller force to play CV or Deer say I. The league will survive that.

Not ideal, but as usual, I will volunteer to stay in the rear with the gear at Riata if that is what's required. And someone tell Ford not to worry--it only takes 4 Pandas to kill any pool.

Long story short, the weekend is just around the corner. And Pandas, including me, need to know what direction they should march. That means planning. Starting now, rather than Saturday at 2:30. That's too late, people.

Speaking for myself, I've already made battle decisions by then.

So lets get to figuring out the where, and the when (Chief's version of a Shakespearean couplet to close the scene)

Wherever the fight is, I look forward to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdDdHMwhU2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qubItQjdSHA

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:53 am 

I'll need to leave a little early Saturday (6-ish), so I'll go wherever the start time is earliest.
There's a 60% chance of rain on Monday so I'm going to try for a long day on Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:22 am 

City View.. I forgot about that place. Dan's photo:

and another I found on their Facebook page which includes targets.. I mean players:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:16 pm 

I'll be out of town Saturday but back on Sunday for ball.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:55 pm 

Any sign of replacement Dragon balls in town? The Walmart that gaveth, tooketh away

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:27 am 

Sorry the see/hear that you boyz are not getting on with your water volleyball. We had another fantastic weekend here in Dallas. Here is a link to see photos from just Saturday, May 24, 2014.

https://www.facebook.com/steven.mcfarland2/media_set?set=a.10203144944738332.1073741856.1648590979&type=1

We had a bigger party on Sunday, May 25. However, I still need to collect the photos from that day. We had DJ Stevie Ray taking care of music for us again (he played when you guys were here). We had such an awesome weekend. Great, great games on both Saturday & Sunday.

We hope that you guys will be able to come back and play soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:15 am 

Dallas Chief,

We did get on with ball, on the one day where the weather allowed. See the AAR. It was quite a good day.

What generally bumfuzzles the Pandas is planning. Because "we" rarely had to plan anything. There was Argosy for their entire developmental period. Having one place to play more or less made Panda Corps organic, and of one mind on what to do, which was play ball, all the time.

I am pleased that we had a road team ready to go. It's too bad the heater malfunctioned during the crucial decision period. It will be hard to get a crew together again while the season is on down here.

If it is something you have not tried, opening a new venue is not easy. You have the benefit of being on good terms with Ilume management, which I definitely did not. But if you try to even walk down the street to that pool Scott used to live it, you will find the administrative elements of setting up game rise exponentially.

Down here we just have to raid places. And hope people are there. We tried to get an invite to Cityview from residents this weekend and failed. Which makes me think they are not as serious about ball as we, which leads to slaughter at best(!), or a waste of time (none of the locals actually show up); at worst, security/management comes down on your ass.

In short, finding a new place to play that will allow all players to go there is a long shot in Austin that is usually not worth it. The default is the Riata pool, which is a lot like yours, but with a much higher net--raise yours, the game will get better, and, since you play with a harder ball than we do (we did the same for many years), you're risking injury when big fellas can crash the net--interestingly, the big fellas tend to hurt each other more than the little fellas in this situation. Just a word to the wise, and I know you are wise...

I gotta say I like what you're doing. It's pretty much what I did at Argosy. But we have our hands full down here just making sure we can get game. I don't see us coming up any time soon.

Do not despair. We will follow your exploits, as you have followed ours. My recommendation is that you either continue training your soldiers until after ~ July 4, and then challenge Darth Nowell, or invite his boys to play your venue before then on some day that is too cold to play without a heated pool.

About 8 years of experience tells me Riata dies on Labor Day. That leaves a couple of months open for hungry Austin players who are ready for some post season action--your venue would be ideal for that, and both sides would have the benefit of a full season under their belts. So I figure we see ya in Sept/October.

Good luck to you. Maybe you can coordinate with Dan to figure out how any game film you choose to take can be accessed on our website?

And, as much as I'd like to invite you guys down here to play, no can do. The venue we play at is not my own. I cannot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:48 pm 

Chief wrote:
Maybe you can coordinate with Dan to figure out how any game film you choose to take can be accessed on our website?

I'm making some Ilume DVDs as we speak. I'll send them North soon.

My name's Dan

Last edited by Dan on Fri May 30, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:50 pm 

Chief wrote:
Any sign of replacement Dragon balls in town? The Walmart that gaveth, tooketh away

Not seeing any Dragon balls around either.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:13 pm 

StevenMcFarland wrote:

I don't think many of us are on Facebook, so we can't see the photos. Feel free to post them here. We're in charge of our own site here.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:33 pm 

Masters of our own domain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:44 pm 

Dan wrote:
Chief wrote:
Maybe you can coordinate with Dan to figure out how any game film you choose to take can be accessed on our website?

I'm making some Ilume DVDs as we speak. I'll send them North soon.

Just mailed 4 DVDs to Ilume Steve.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:56 pm 

Cool. T-bone has one. Alex has my last one. He's supposed to know what to do with it. Which makes me think I'd like another copy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:02 pm 

The DVDs I sent to Steven are strictly Ilume videos. Game film + the bonus videos. I re-edited the videos so the score and logo don't run off the screen! :roll:

Oh, and I burned them on slow speed and they don't seem to be freezing up.

I've burned some more of these for us to have. I'll pass them out soon.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:59 am 

Thank you videographer. I think a little bling to pass out to neophytes that shows what the AWVP is all about would not be a bad thing.

We should start documenting the 2014 season soon. Like I said, I've brought my camera up the last couple of weeks, but it's soo 2000 quality footage that it didn't seem worthy. If Alex wants to help out with all his bells and whistles, so much the better, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:21 pm 

I have received the DVD's!! Thank you so very much. A fitting memorial to the games of last year. A very dramatic opening segment...duly impressed.

I have received 4 copies, which I am sharing with others on the team. I am also going to play it for the folks at Dish...the folks we think will be our first sponsor of our teams. They are the restaurant in the front of Ilume, as well as our Sunday bar & grill at the pool. We want to support them at the restaurant and bar as much as possible. I will have body tattoos of their, and other potential sponsors this week. We meet with Dish tomorrow and expect that we will have a nod to keep moving forward with our plans. I am not really asking them for money, but simply to pay for making the marketing materials and to help us with the rest of "the party" on Sundays. Game time would be 3PM and we would all go to Dish afterwards for the party to continue.

I hope that you guys are going to be able to be involved to some degree this year. The folks at Dish keep asking me if this is "league" play. Since we don't technically have a league, I am thinking that we will call ourselves the International Water Volleyball League and creating one so that we can really get them onboard. At least 8 of our players lives at Ilume and we have the power to boost Dish's sales by bring our peeps in. We still want to have our matches against you boyz both here as well as in Austin.

Thanks again for the DVDs. I cherish the memories we have together, even though you guys emerged the victors. One day, we will play again. I longedly look forward to that day!

Peace! sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:03 am 

Awesome. I'm glad you enjoyed the video. Creepy works hard on them.

Congratulations on your sponsorship. I seem to have my hands full just making sure pandas show up on a regular basis. There was no ball Sunday due to Xgames in Austin and my own exhaustion and homeowner duties.

We will make sure we patronize Dish both pre and post game when we return. And you will no doubt have your peeps do the same--you can make it kind of a watervolleyball clubhouse!

I'm sure you've thought of this, but you can make your own game film too. Good for training and promotion.

Very impressed with what you're doing. If I were you, I'd describe yourself as a startup--yes, you are a league--people have come from Austin and other parts of Dallas to play at your venue. You're going to organize the neighborhood to play (I'd start with Scott's old pool, which still has a net) and expand from there. Stay in touch with Nowell and tell him what you're up to. And challenge his guys to a duel.

Have you started your own website yet? It would be a good idea.

I'll call down a council meeting at some point to discuss potential here. If it were up to me, I'd say you could call yourself "AWVP Dallas" and thereby have use of the logo.

You could then say that you are the new chapter of a league that has a 20 year history in Austin, where they played at numerous pools. Which would be true and lends you some gravitas.

Of course, you can do your own thing as well. Branding, branding, branding, bro. We've done limited run T-shirts and coasters, and of course our vaunted beer cans on a plague with year end awards ceremonies. There are many, many more ideas out there. Many of which were part of the document I showed you when we came up the last time, which was prepared by someone who is on Burning Man LLC, so he knows what he's doing.

Would've been nice if you'dve found us a few years ago, Ilume Chief. Still looks to me like it's gonna be Sept/Oct before we return. Get your boys ready