Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Riata Today
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:14 pm 

3:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:25 pm 

As Walter said, it did happened at 3--amazingly, everyone was on time. Funny what an extended off season will do to motivate.

Roll call: LJ Misty Havi a half dozen Riata players whose names I didn't catch, me Jess, Jared, Mikey, Scott, Dave, Dan, Wescott, Dub, Pat, Bunny (dnp). Did I miss anybody?

Despite weather with temp measured between 85-95, water is still cold.

6 games were played. Yes, there is ring rust, but also moments of greatness. The greatest thing of all is to be playing ball again.

And to see old friends while doing so. We're back!!!

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:01 pm 

That's awesome that you guys have been able to get back into the pool to play ball together again...the first time for this year, I take it. We had a similar great experience 2 weeks ago when we played in the cold water, but our Sunday (May 4) was so much more incredible than the week before. First, the water was indeed heated, so NO CHILL!!! Secondly, I grilled fajitas for my ball players and guests. In order for me to do that, I had to sit out a few games and cook while they played. If you don't remember the layout, the grills are behind the pool equipment building, which means that I can't see the play at all while I am tending food on the grill. However, I could hear them, and that was so incredibly rewarding to hear the cheers of the players as they fought, made their points, and won their games. I cannot tell you how that makes me feel. We are looking forward to you guys returning soon. Please let me know when you can commit to a weekend and I will plan it out with my folks. Peace and happiness to all! sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:06 am 

Thank you generous host. Let's try to get this done in May, people. Still awful cold at our best available venue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:35 am 

From what I'm hearing, my Pandas would rather freeze or do nothing than be feted in Dallas. Their choice.

They have a strong contrarian streak, so if I shift my posts from saying that a road trip to Dallas should happen this month, to saying that there's no way in hell they could organize their way out of a paper bag, let alone get to Dallas this month, chances might be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:32 pm 

Quite alright! They will feel that they're unstoppable at some point in time that I believe a consensus amongst the team to visit Dallas would transpire. Please don't forget that we would like to travel to Austin once or twice this summer. However, I think that enough advance Summer planning will help us make sure that we can have a very fun and competitive ball season this year.

I think that I have enough to organize 2 teams, which would really be select players from those 2 teams when we play against you guys for any serious match early in the summer.

I am going to draft "My 16 Players" divided into 2 teams of 8. This will allow us to play team matches most weekends at Ilume. We would add teams of 8 to increase the team play, but we have to run all of that past Ilume. Right now, with what we do, keeping our roster to 16 folks, comprised of residents and their guests, then we are able to keep good control over what all is going on. Believe me, Ilume would prefer that we keep a cap on our games and pool parties. They simply don't won't it out of hand and anything that would completely overrun residents with non-residents and their "activities". Thus, I am working with them on a resident/non-resident agreement that will be beneficial for all, including Ilume.

I have given thought to playing the 2 teams such that the winner of several brackets over a 4-6 week period would be the winner and also the team to take on the Pandas. However, I have to see how the teams will form up. I do request that you establish a team roster of up to 8 players that you will draw on for playing against our team. It would be best to have this as early in the season as possible. The intent of this is to establish a stable team environment in which it is always fair because are "literally" playing against the same players, no matter when we play during a season. It is not really the same "team" if you play against each other one weekend, then the next time you play, there are 6 different players that are "supposedly" on the same team. Thus, we want structure to the teams.

It's funny to watch your "discussion" on scouting properties to play. The venue to play, even given it's limitations, was not my problem here. Mine has been not having enough committed players. Well, I've been scouting! Finding committed players is no longer an issue.

I must admit, we have come across some great players in a short amount of time. A few of them play for DIVA (Dallas Independent Volleyball Association). DIVA only plays on land, but I've shown a few of their players how much fun playing in the water can be. The games this past weekend were AWESOME! We had a few 4 on 4 games that were rather intense. Thus, while I may start with some blanks on My 16 Players, but I think that the blanks will fill in fast. I need up to 6 players for each match and we should maintain 2 alternate players for when others can't make it for whatever reason. We would need a minimum of 4 players per match, but the team player count should be even on both sides, whether 4 or 5, or 6 players playing in a match. But, need to keep the players always playing on the same team...no team cross-pollination. I think this will increase player and team success and desire to play...and win!

Please let me know when you think we can have our fist game together this year here at Ilume. Regardless, I want for our last game against each other this season to be the equivalent of the Ilume team taking on the Pandas on their home court defending last year's win of the Ilume Cup! You guys deserved the wins you brought. Now, it's up to me to take it back.

My summer's mission has been defined!

My best to all of you guys!
sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:49 am 

Dallas Steve,

You're an awesome chief. I like what you're doing.

Here's the problem from my personal perspective--you have a pool, and a modicum of authority over same. I don't anymore. So all I can do is lend my experience and declining gravitas to discussions. I can guarantee nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLGfeCtqxJs

It was something of a miracle we got a crew to agree show up again a couple weeks ago. Broken heater = sad. In terms of your inquiry on who was in for that, the same 5 signed up for the mission that did happen last time were the ones on board for the one that didn't happen, plus one you haven't met. As things stand, 5-6 will be about all we are likely to bring, at best. Status quo ante, that would be more than enough!!

As you can tell from discussions on the website, my boys are free spirits, and we are experiencing something of a diaspora

For plans, look to Creepy/Dan. He's the one most likely to respond regarding the recently re-opened south side operation. Despite our many differences, I respect his efforts at organization/panda herding.

But I don't think that Austin AWVP is at a stage where 8 players on a traveling are going to be welcomed and allowed to play all day at any venue I'm aware of.

As things stand at the South Side Shall Rise Again, I think they're along the lines of finding like minded resident individuals and chasing away unbelievers and children with water wings.

And, due to the unfortunate popularity of the venue (see your Ilume party video that gave us pause), I can't ever say you'll get good game at Riata, despite my best efforts.

Though I speak for no one and have hope for another alternative, the next time we see your born again hard Ilume crew will most likely be Sept-Oct when it gets too cold to play down here again.

In the mean time, I recommend you challenge Darth Nowell and his elite Dallas crew. Ronin Steve says they start around Memorial Day. Steal a march or two on them. I was told they decided my crew was good enough to play them. Wait a couple of months until you think you are ready and invite them into your venue. You are generous hosts.

A note on your court. The back lines you set up were awesome. But here's what needs to happen, IMHO. This, after watching the game film, and from my experience at my own Argosy venue and the Riata--get a stronger net, and raise it higher, I'd say at least 3-4". This cuts down on injuries, and, believe it or not, improves the game--even tall guys will have a problem serving "downhill" or crashing the net, and everyone's game adjusts, positively. This from an under 6' man with no measurable vertical!

DIVA! Sorry, but LOL. Reminds me of "The Walking Dead." Down here we call them "Sanders." They spend the entire time they play with their noses in the air saying how watervolleyball sucks, there are no rules, it's a stupid game, which is beneath them to even engage in.

Well, I'm willing to concede that more effort and athleticism is required to play sand than to play water, so they should totally dominate, right? Not so much in my town! Austin's diva sanders, best in the city at sand, have been losing to us useless Pandas for the last decade. They have won a stunning 3 games in that timeframe.

However, slowly but surely, we've encouraged some of them to enjoy the alternative game.

I agree, you need to build some esprit des corps, and keep teams together so that they can learn how to play together and stay together. But here's the rub--you will eventually congregate all the good players on one whoop ass super team, and they will want to keep playing together because they win. That builds a good road challenge team, but it might not do much to draw in new players.

Here's some simple homilies I came up with back when I was Chief: win 3 in a row, your run is done. Break it up and mix it up. As an adjunct, dry people play, all the more so when a team has lost. Which means some people in the pool have to get out in favor of others who haven't played and are waiting to do so. "You are not a pretty slowflake!" Some people will always linger, win or lose, and never want to get out of the pool.

Pretty sure we're both on the same page here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJz1wxjxbwQ

Difference is, as things stand, you have the will, we have the skills. No doubt that will balance out, in time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDpI6Zzy-vo

: ) Look what we did with 5 Pandas the last time! Imagine what I could do with 16. Sadly, right now, I can only imagine!

Strength and honor, Dallas Chief! You teach yours, like I taught mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0DxK1ZEMcg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:07 am 

As opposed to in my younger days, quarter, when asked for, is given:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0DxK1ZEMcg