AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:47 pm 

I get a lot of rumbling about a late start and Pandas being fat, warm, and bored.

The frustration is shared. What's the alternative? When the going gets tough, the weird turn pro... Find a new place that is playable and where you can play.

How do you do that? Scouting. You can scout by internet. However, a lot of these sites haven't been updated since I looked at them and scouted some well nigh 8-9 years ago. Just because you removed an amenity like water volleyball physically doesn't mean you have to do it virtually. There's only about 40 people in town for which no ball might be a deal breaker.

We took a couple of places off the pool safari (San Paloma) for this reason.

You can scout by phone. Same problem though--an enterprising apartment apparatchik might just lie to you to get you to come look. But hey, if you made an appointment, at least you get a guided tour of the place rather than trespassing.

You're not just scanning for playability, you're scoping out security and level of population at the pool--full of kids and sun sitters within inches of pool, may not be good.

Probably best to hit on a sunny weekend. If people are playing, gotta find out how often they play, and get names. Try to get an invitation to play. Build a data base.

We're still at the initial stages of this. Last time any serious scouting took place was 8-9 years ago. Can't say the outcome was really good in terms of discovering other intelligent life. But things can change.

So, starting with my 45 min internet search today, let's see what can be added to/modified on the "pool safari" list:

Pinto Creek is now known as Hillside Villas;

Alex Rattan Creek;

Marlborough Square;

Nalle Woods (think we played there--N up on 360);

Paradise Oaks;

Penbrook Club;

Windsor at Barton Creek.

The last one is near my work. I'll check it out and provide a report.

Cityview was the "Lions Den," right?

What I'm trying to say here is that YOU have to seek out new life and new civilizations. That's what we did on a half dozen or so occasions in the early "Oughts."

Them coming to us at a pool we play by rep is no longer an option now that Argosy is RIP.

The other alternative--someone finding you online, is way overrated. This has happened 3 times since our website went up in 2005. Our Yahoogroups site from back in the day got nothing, zip, nada.

Now, since the last time I gave safaris any serious thought has come Yelp, Facebook, et al. However, I lack the online presence, will, and tech savvy to even be aware what the top ones to search would be. A quick Yelp search got me a single Nalle Woods reference. Anyone who has more knowledge of what's hot and what's not among the rapidly burgeoning review/social networking market feel free to explore the studio space.

Pandas don't like the current options in front of them. Time to try to change those options, don't you think?

I just spent a couple of hours doing some initial groundwork. I expect your efforts to meet or exceed my own. Especially the grumblers. Use your own initiative, and share what you find, so efforts will not be replicated.

Here's a proposal that might provide some incentive: whoever finds the next best place to play this year (and the venue proves sustainable for the season at a minimum secret 2's level 1 day/week) wins Panda of the Year, and has their in game drinking budget (in the form of their domestic can 12 pack of choice), paid for by the League.

Like Ahab nailing the gold doubloon to the mast, I will personally pay $50 to the first Panda to discover a new pool with intelligent life that invites us to play there, in whatever numbers.

Does that get anyone's attention?

If Deer can be re-opened, under the leadership of anyone but Resident Rob, and said non-Rob resident is willing to make it work, the League should pay their drinking way under the aforementioned guidelines. Well worth it, don't cha think?

I await your reactions to this post, which I hope against hope are like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDcl75xZSaQ

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:58 pm 

i stand by ready to pounce. i've only been drinking like a normal functioning alcoholic over the winter and i am prepared to kick it into full fledged season alcoholism.

pants just texted me something about fighting. is there a party going on this weekend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:14 pm 

Jared is calling down Riata ball on Sunday. Barring a scouting miracle, that's where I'll be, weather permitting.

Got a bit of chatter on the non-landline about how we "can" scout places. Will we?

Take it away, Ronin Steve's band!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnxkfLe4G74

Already found out the place that a lady at work said would take us in won't work--no booze allowed, and that's a key part of the game.

As I said, I'll target Windsor, and possibly another one on 290 that sounds close.

In the mean time, see you at Riata

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:47 pm 

Chief wrote:
Last time any serious scouting took place was 8-9 years ago. Can't say the outcome was really good in terms of discovering other intelligent life. But things can change.

As Pants pointed out today, Jess and I scouted last year and I posted photos:
http://www.watervolleyball.net/phpBB/vi ... php?t=2271

Did you forget or did the scouting not count as serious?

If you are trying to motivate us, I don't think dismissing the efforts of those trying to do something for the league is very motivating.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:37 pm 

And another thing..... after Jess and I scouted last year we tried out the Field of Deers, made friends with the locals and established it as a place to play. It wasn't perfect but it's pretty good. And what did we hear from Chief? Bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, moan, complain, bitch.

Quit your bitchin' Chief. That is no way to be.

:whitietightie:

My name's Dan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:29 pm 

Chief wrote:
Here's a proposal that might provide some incentive: whoever finds the next best place to play this year (and the venue proves sustainable for the season at a minimum secret 2's level 1 day/week) wins Panda of the Year, and has their in game drinking budget (in the form of their domestic can 12 pack of choice), paid for by the League.

And another thing.....do you realize that you are attempting to throw out our voting system by offering an award in exchange for an accomplishment?

I get it that you are trying to motivate people, but I don't like how you're going about it.

:whitietightie: :whitietightie:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:05 pm 

It sucked how much you ripped on Deerfield last year Chief.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:08 pm 

Deerfield was good. I hope we can get along well with Rob and make it happen again. Maybe Andrew moved back.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:10 pm 

I can get you a toe if you'll give me MVP.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:49 pm 

Dan wrote:
Chief wrote:

And another thing.....do you realize that you are attempting to throw out our voting system by offering an award in exchange for an accomplishment

What is this, North Korea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:54 pm 

There is a high suspicion of Communist ideology. We'll look into it. This may go to the highest levels of the AWVP power structure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:10 pm 

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/vvM3_Eyd8qg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/vvM3_Eyd8qg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:46 pm 

I just want to play ball.

https://www.facebook.com/events/670458239674258/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:15 am 

Me too.

I now understand. My input is unnecessary. You guys got this.

I will scout the Windsor, as promised, next week. Thereafter, I will leave scouting to the young innovators.

You appear to have a plan. When it's up and running, share it with the group. Be sure to explain the risks.

It appears I'm getting in the way of such future developments, and represent the default position, which I will share with the group:

Efforts are being made to play ball at Riata this Sunday.

Should an alternative venue arise between now and then, please post the terms and conditions of same. Should an alternative venue not arise between now and then, please keep your complaints about the one venue we have to yourselves.

It's called "best available," and since you are tired of hearing from me regarding other options and how to approach same, then the status quo is yours to change.

I wish you luck.

Like Dallas Steve said, fuck it, dude, let's play ball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:30 am 

Dan wrote:
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/vvM3_Eyd8qg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/vvM3_Eyd8qg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

0:16 Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:32 am 

I am the walrus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:37 am 

If you will it Dude, it is no dream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:56 pm 

New video is up!

<This> <object width="500" height="375"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=93676454&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0"><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=93676454&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="500" height="375"></embed></object> <p><a>AWVP Deerfield 7/27/2013 - 3</a> from <a>AWVP</a> on <a>Vimeo</a>.</p>

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:36 pm 

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/GZR58d77a4A?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/GZR58d77a4A?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:03 pm 

<This> <object width="500" height="375"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=93685555&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0"><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=93685555&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="500" height="375"></embed></object> <p><a>AWVP Deerfield 7/27/2013 - 4</a> from <a>AWVP</a> on <a>Vimeo</a>.</p>

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:15 am 

That North Korean shit looks awesome!

Such discipline. If only I could get Pandas to march up and down the square like that. Lord knows I tried.

Maybe Dan should abandon his French maid Halloween costume in favor of a North Korean WAC outfit.

A couple things. Armored vehicles do you very little good in 4 ft of water. I doubt the ones in this video are amphibious.

Also, NK is a bit like most organized teams in hermit kingdoms we've run into in our journeys in this fair city--they may look impressive, but they don't play anybody, so their reputation is based on their dominance against their own populace in a very insular way.

When faced with an outside force with superior technology, they tend to get their chronometers cleaned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BfALzr5l-Q

Which is why, after shock and awe, you try to find a few of the opposition who understand what you're about and you can play with. Mix it up, and everyone gets better. The league survives, and grows.

Slaughter happens, even to good teams. But constant slaughter is boring and distasteful, and often leaves me ashamed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1csr0dxalpI

Them or us. Check. Greater good? Clearing out the scrubs in favor of good game--check? Teachable moment?

Well, that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to be that what we do is a sport, not recreation. Which means you keep score, no children with water wings, and there are levels of skill out there. And climbing the ladder is hard.

IMHO, that has not been an easy sell to those in the L column. Hell, it happens so fast for most of em they don't even know the game is over and have no idea or interest in figuring out why they lost, and we won.

Post subject: I got's ta know
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:38 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xjr2hnOHiM

Since my input is considered toxic, I'd like to know how the fall of the rediscovered Deer occurred because of my bitching.

I had no idea my words had so much power, compared to actions.

I'd like to know more, to avoid the error of my ways and musings in the future.

Ever hear the story of big TJ, who was banned from Riata for 3 years for cussing? Have you ever heard TJ cuss? And once the decision was made by the powers that are management, there was no appeal.

Dealing with management is like dealing with the Greek Gods of Olympus--they are petty, vengeful, and unforgiving.

Failure, any failure, is not an option, and is an excuse for them to send lighting bolts up your ass.

If my bitching brought down the thunder at Deer, you have my abject apologies.

There isn't any other reason why it got shut down that I should be aware of, is there?

Post subject: Re: I got's ta know
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:55 am 

Chief wrote:
Since my input is considered toxic, I'd like to know how the fall of the rediscovered Deer occurred because of my bitching.

You're so ridiculous. Your bitching doesn't help anything, I'll tell you that. Imagine if you went to the effort of getting us a place to play and we kept nitpicking and complaining about every little thing throughout the year.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:27 am 

Chief wrote:
That North Korean shit looks awesome!

Such discipline. If only I could get Pandas to march up and down the square like that. Lord knows I tried.

See, Chief is a communist dictator.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:47 pm 

Dammit! I was holding out for fascist dictator. I like the uniforms better.

You forgot that I am a poopy head, and there are suspicions that I do not like cheese as much as the other Pandas do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTKl16887Bo

Hear them boots in the background? That's the sound of marching Pandas. The sound of inevitability. We fight as an organized phalanx/legion. Only the barbarians fight as individuals.

And you know where that gets them, don't cha?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AP7XCCUcug

If you haven't noticed, you've been part of a legion that brings death and destruction to basically everyone they meet for quite some time now. You and the "grizzlies" killed my vets dead. And it was good for the league that it went that way. You were part of a group that recently went on the road and killed more people. And it was good for the league that the road trip happened.

Because, "Rome is the light!" I like to think we bring a little enlightenment in our wake. Don't you?

The two C's--competition, and camaraderie. If the first supersedes the second, all you got is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTtzB17SKwQ