AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Road Trip
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:37 am 

I'm getting a lotta off site positive feedback for Road Trip 2, Ilume Spring Training Boogaloo:

Jess in. Dave in. Jared in.

So it looks like we have a quorum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2JgRkILqhc

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:06 pm 

Road Trip

Post subject: Road Trip
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:42 pm 

Can you plan for Saturday, April 19, 2014? That gives me a little under 2 weeks to get everything organized, including making sure the pool is properly heated. They have had some technical difficulties getting up this spring; it's been shutdown over the cold part of winter. Regardless, I did get a text from management apologizing for not getting heated for this weekend. Oh, well. We can wait one more week. (albeit, that seems so difficult to wait any more time.)

We still have Ilume's support. They are behind us 100%. They know that you want to come back and you are welcome back. We want for you to bring the video of us getting handed our a$$e$ so that we can run it on the screens at the bar as part of training camp. We need for people to see what they're doing wrong...and hopefully, learn, adapt, become better, etc. It should be good for everybody. We are also open to your suggestions on how to make a weekend training camp successful.

We're looking forward to your return.

Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:36 am 

I'm putting out the word, Dallas Chief, to see if 4/19 works. I know my boys sure like 4/20!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:38 am 

Scott also in. We're putting the band back together...

Post subject: Road trip 2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:25 am 

Here's the ethos behind the new road trip, as it was discussed on the previous road trip:

This time we come to teach, not to kill. Killing will happen, but on mixed Ilume/AWVP teams. Mix it up is the best way to learn, IMHO.

How our road trip forces will be divided is TBD. I'll leave that to Ilume Chief.

Just thinking out loud, but ideally, I'd like to see this as a 2 afternoon exercise. About half the first day would be warm up/80% speed. Line up your players, if somebody messes up, redraw the same play once where nobody on the opposite team reacts to give them the chance to get it right.

Note to the traveling squad--no matter how you are split up, you can show how things are done by going to the other Panda players on your team, but that's not what this exercise is all about--plays in training need to go through Ilume players, so that they are in charge of the play in terms of set/spike.

Maybe at some stage the game film from last time could be scrutinized in a positive fashion to determine what was done right and what was done wrong, on both sides. Trust me, film is very unforgiving, and very instructive. I sure as hell didn't do everything right, nor did my team.

Perhaps by the end of a truncated day 2, we could go back to Ilume vs Road Trippers for a game or two to see what you've learned?

I admire the dedication and interest at the Ilume. And things worked out there about as best as could be expected.

It is always this way on a blind challenge:

Two groups of players agree to face off, who don't know anything about the other team. Away team agrees to play by home team's rules. That's as fair as it gets, and the proof is in the box scores.

Now what used to happen in my younger days was, if I was the visitor, and won (90%, cause we're good), the home team got all cranky and it was hard to get another invite. When we were the home team, it was hard to get the folks we'd beaten to show up again.

Glad it's not that way this time. Nothing personal, Dallas, just business:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoM7V54T-c

Part of our credo that is sometimes forgotten is that we, as members of the AWVP, have a duty to improve and expand the league.

I believe a second road trip under such conditions will benefit all concerned.

So endeth the sermon for the day

Post subject: redo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:22 am 

Oops, Easter. How about the next weekend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:35 am 

Steven,

How about the weekend of April 26-27?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:14 am 

Works for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:24 am 

For dates referenced for new plan, Scott in, Dave in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:26 am 

I am now planning for April 27 & 28. See you fellows then. Thanks! sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:06 am 

Sorry, I meant April 26 & 27 ( not April 28 ). Looking forward to your return and the strengthening of an already good relationship with the AWVP members. See you folks in about 2.5 weeks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:24 am 

Thank you generous host!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:53 am 

Newsflash (ht Creepy)

Latest reports indicate the original 5, maybe more, are in for the new April 26-27 date.

Let's do this.

Post subject: Re: Road Trip
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:39 pm 

StevenMcFarland wrote:
We want for you to bring the video of us getting handed our a$$e$ so that we can run it on the screens at the bar as part of training camp. We need for people to see what they're doing wrong...and hopefully, learn, adapt, become better, etc.

Piece of cake. I'll bring a DVD of our Ilume videos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:58 pm 

Video is instructive, and rather unforgiving. When I watch I see that my lateral movement is at least a step behind where it needs to be.

In other news, Riata will not open its gates this weekend. I'm told too cold. I know this to be true for me, but I asked anyway, for the Corps! And I would play and freeze if there were game, because that's what a Panda does for the Corps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:27 am 

Steven,

How's the heater?

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:16 am 

I'm told the heater is fine.

Let me make this perfectly clear. This road trip is not a chore, it's a privilege.

This is what we are all about, people.

My count includes me, Dan, Jess, Dave, and now Jared. Probably Scott.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:38 pm 

Hey Chief, I posted a reply to your email, but I figured that I would post here as well. Unfortunately, the heater broke last week and we do not have a forecast on it being fixed. I have spoken with Ilume management about it, but they cannot guarantee me it will be fixed this week in time to heat the pool for this weekend. Thus, I think we need to postpone until it is working again. Do you guys have alternative date(s) that would be good for you? Let me know and I will post an update on the heater when I know more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:58 pm 

Mission Aborted. Eject! Eject! Eject!

Bummer. We got time. May is a long month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:51 pm 

Can we replan for May 10 & 11? I will be in Little Rock, AR on the first weekend in May, but back home the following weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:34 am 

OMG, Little Rock?

Guys, Isn't that the home of Big Horse from back in the day? The dude with the mansion who called us out and then changed his mind?

Creeps, help me out on this. Maybe an audience can be achieved where we have failed.

Big Horse no longer seems to be on the member list, but I know he posted...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:03 am 

Big Horse is in Fort Smith, AR. He's still on the memberlist.

I'm very busy in May and will be out of town the first three weekends, so I don't know when we can do a road trip. It's challenging getting a traveling squad together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:15 pm 

I can guarantee you that we will be playing this weekend, regardless of the pool heater status. I was with the maintenance guys just now and have diagnosed the problem to be the airflow sensor switch in the unit, which will have to be ordered to replace. Thus, I am sure it won't be complete before this weekend, but, while the water is a bit chili, some of us have already been in to hit some balls around. The weather is supposed to be 88 on Saturday and 91 on Sunday. So, we will be playing, regardless. So, if you want to make the trek anyway, we will be here. I just can't promise you a toasty pool.

As always, bring your "A" game!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:01 am 

Too late, brother. We canceled booked hotel rooms and aborted the mission.

With all due respect to Creepy and his schedule, AWVP fights with the army it has available. There are no pretty snowflakes. If I were unavailable for a road trip, I fully expect and acknowledge another Panda should replace me in the lineup.

That being said, does Ilume have a big party Memorial Day? Long weekend, if memory serves.

My crew may be able to come up and play both Ilume and take on the Dallas vets. That's a win win. Chime in, people

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:06 pm 

Chief, I know you suggested that we mix it up with the Ilume players when we make it up there, but I think we should play many if not all the games as the AWVP traveling squad against Dallas teams.

That is what gets people fired up. Watching the Ilume videos again, that is what strikes me.

So far we are undefeated traveling up to Dallas.

:clubinhand:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:15 am 

That challenge is certainly accepted, Dan. However, I think your chief is right. Mixing it up helps build the other players. Everyone will be able to better at the sport, thus, it should overall become more competitive to your well established team. There will be a time allotted just for that. However, I would like to see between 50%-75% changing it up while reinforcing skill and team work amongst each of the teams, however they form out.

We welcome you guys to come grow this sport with us.

See you soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:39 am 

Chiefs think alike, and are wise. I get no joy out of slaughtering opponents. They had courage to stand against my team, as my team did to stand against them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1csr0dxalpI

I fully understand the unity and marketing concept of heading up and kicking ass.

But let us look again to the concepts upon which this league was founded--competition, and camaraderie.

And, dare I say, since I was the first in Austin to explore the cosmos, you at least offer this ethos--when you go to another venue, play by their rules, and beat them decisively, you always offer to mix the teams up, because that's how you learn.

It's all about winning until someone wins by 2. It's about playing and building a league after that.

I'm flexible on the subject. Maybe after we spend most of a day mixing it up, the Austin team gets back together to see what our generous hosts have learned.

My boys like to kill. I had quite a bit to do with encouraging that instinct. What I've been trying to do the whole time is speak to sustainability. Because everywhere I've been in my 22 years of experience, shit gets ossified.

Big boy players only want to play big boy games. Which means nobody new ever gets in the mix. And the same guys kick ass in a pool, over and over again. Which means you play with the same people until you look around and discover many years have gotten behind you, and you are no longer good, or challenging yourselves. Instead, you are isolating and honoring yourselves.

If you can pass the test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yh3GgjFpxw

You deserve a chance. Anyone who knows my story knows I went through this, and got a miraculous chance. Every honest Panda knows they got one too.

Training new people can be frustrating. Gee, Ilume Steve, would I know anything about that, given that I introduced 4/5 of my team to the game they now own? Would you?

I understand my team's esprit des corps and elitism. But the challenge happened and the point was proven.

SOP when I was Chief was that after achieving this result was when you offered to mix it up and everyone learns to play together, benefit from experience, and the game grows players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJMC_S-DB2I

I rest my case

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:19 pm 

I bet that pool is colder than a witch's titty.

:boobiebounce:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:51 am 

Hey, what ever happened to these guys?

http://youtu.be/W7zdghZSFhI

We had a game of 3-3 and 2-2. Stephen Wilson and myself were the victors on both our wins with Rusty hanging onto our coattails on the second win. An unexpected show of Kurt Russell, who played well as expected. He will be a player to watch as he improves his skills.

We had several folks show up. The water was tolerable. However, several wouldn't play. Woosies! All that it takes is 10 minutes in the water and you don't feel it....playing is good. Those that played enjoyed it and had a great time.

I am beginning to plan the memorial weekend here with the Ilume staff. I will be able to for sure have a volley ball tournament sometime over that weekend. Thus, I think if you want to plan for that weekend, we should be able to accommodate a great time playing ball. Let me know your thoughts.