AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:17 pm 

Pandas,

The Council met this afternoon. Efforts were made to ensure the word of said meeting was spread to the far corners of the Empire with sufficient warning so that all who wished to attend could do so.

Attendees were host Creepy/Dan, Jess, yours truly, Mikey, Bunny, Pat/Pants, attorney Scott. That's a quorum.

Without further adieu (minus the drumroll), here's what we decided in terms of planning the 2013 Awards Ceremony:

The List: We came up with a list of 49 players who played this year, which includes both the Riata and Deerfield venues. This list will be the basis of voting for award winners in this year's categories. It appears to be pretty comprehensive. I plan to take a copy north tomorrow to see if there's anyone missing. Thereafter, I recommend Creepy post the list to the website, since I have no idea how to do so.

AWARDS: The categories are based mostly on the 2012 model, with changes as follows: Rookie of the Year will be provided with a unique award; 2 most improved instead of one; there will be a Lifetime Achievement Award, and this is the one award that won't be voted on--It's Dick, hands down. This award will also be unique.

That's 11 award categories total, 10 of which will be voted on. I am responsible for procuring the Rookie of the Year award, Creepy is handling the rest.

Bling: since we have a bit more means than we did when the dirty Philadelphia gym first opened, the intent is to supply door prizes to attendees. See, everyone gets an award! Last year was T shirts. This year will be something different. Wanna know what you're gonna get? Show up the the ceremony!

Location: by vote of Council, the venue has been changed. The Chief Mansion shall be the venue. The rationale for this was that I am in Travis County, and more or less equidistant from players North and South, and I've got room should all 49 and more show up!

WHEN: this shifted back and forth quite a bit. What was finally decided was 3rd or 4th week of February. Thoughts are maybe on a Friday or Saturday, to allow for recovery time.

Structure: don't make me laugh. There is always a plan in place, that starts to go wrong the minute the first guest enters the arena. The only given is that, if Pandas show up, you can bet it will be a party. Generally, there is an opening statement that explains why we are here, what we are trying to do, and how we are trying to do it. Followed by videos and the social mixer, followed by an explanation of the ballots, followed by passing out the ballots, followed by filling out the ballots, followed by counting the ballots (usually done by 2 ladies who are sequestered for the counting), followed by more social mixer, and then the announcement of the winners. And then the party can begin in earnest!

Also, very much worth noting, Creepy has promised, and I know he can deliver, CURRENT VIDEO from 2013. No more 2007 reruns where Ford has no beard.

What's Happening for 2014? Well, the Council was fairly vague on this one. Everyone agrees that they want to start playing as soon as possible, meaning before Riata is open for business. Two ideas were floated on how to do that: Spring Training at the Ilume, which gets us the trigger time we are all jonesing for and helps get them up to speed. Ilume Steve was on board with this when we last spoke. It involves merely contacting him again. And this time, boys, 2 hotel rooms instead of one!

The other plan was to re-open Deerfield.

While I am in agreement with the idea of the return of Deer, I am at least one voice on the Council that says it should be done the right way. You start heavy rotation with fraudulent wristbands and a chief who makes Cricket look like he won the perfect attendance award, and you're going to stick out like a sore thumb. Bad attention will follow before summer even starts.

Deerfield is a AWVP Southside Branch project, but it's still an AWVP project, my friends. Try to remember to do what's good for the longevity of the venue, which means what's good for the league.

Riata did not come up in Council discussions, because we are trying to start earlier than they do, and that venue is what it is, and always shall be. Let us act in ways that keep it open for business and welcoming of the Sons of Argosy.

That is all for now.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:13 pm 

Here's the list.

Let me know any suggestions.

My name's Dan

Last edited by Dan on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:01 pm 

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/sgF7uWZMSdE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/sgF7uWZMSdE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:27 pm 

Hello AWVP'ers! I just want to take a moment to say that we are currently planning our Spring Training to start either April 12 or April 19. We have new management here at Ilume, which are even more supportive of our water volleyball efforts. They have put in yet another heater for the pool and have agreed to install the modifications to the pool to support permanent connections for easily setting up and taking down of the rope boundaries. They have also let me know that the new pool at Ilume Park will be more conducive to our play, but that they are onboard with supporting our competitive game play. That said, we have a bit of planning to do, but I believe that 2014 will be the best year for all water volleyball players! I'm looking forward to see you guys for Spring Training. sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:58 pm 

Boy, this site is a ghost town during the off season! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:34 pm 

That's good news on the new management.

We may come visit for spring training. We'll see.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:50 pm 

List updated
http://www.watervolleyball.net/phpBB/vi ... 5587#15587

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:12 am 

I think we should return for Spring Training. Last I checked, I was not alone

Death from above! Fire down below!