AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2013 Awards Ceremony
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:09 pm 

I have heard that the possible location for the Awards Ceremony is at Jared's place.

We'll need a council of elders meeting beforehand. I propose to have the meeting at the Creepy Mansion.

The video situation is going well. So far, I've got 5 solid videos that are well on their way. More are likely.

We had a video council meeting over here at the Creepy Mansion last night with Jethro and Kristy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:20 pm 

MVP - Mikey
Rookie of the Year - Kristy
Most Improved Player - Dan
Panda of the Year - T-Bone / Chief
Server of the Year - Jess / Wescott
Point Guard of the Year - Jess
Spiker of the Year - Mikey
Defensive Player of the Year - Scott / Jess
Drunkest Panda - Big John Monkey #2

MVP - Jess
Rookie of the Year - David
Most Improved Player - Shalyn
Most Improved Player - Julio
Panda of the Year - Chief
Server of the Year - Jess
Point Guard of the Year - Jess
Sharp Shooter of the Year - Scott
Defensive Player of the Year (Net) - Jess / Scott
Defensive Player of the Year (Back Row) - Jess
Drunkest Panda - Scott

2009 & 2010
No Awards Ceremony

MVP - Mikey
Rookie of the Year - Nick
Most Improved Player - Spoons
Server of the Year - Wescott
Point Guard of the Year - Chief
Summer Serve -
Defensive Player of the Year - Will/Jim Back
Drunkest Panda – Deto

MVP - Jess
Rookie of the Year - Ford
Most Improved Player - Scott
Panda of the Year - Crawfish Jim
Server of the Year - Wescott
Point Guard of the Year - LJ
Summer Serve - Soul Glo
Defensive Player of the Year - Scott
Drunkest Panda – Scott

MVP - Pat
Rookie of the Year - Tattoo Jim
Most Improved Player - Wescott
Panda of the Year - Creepy
Server of the Year - Pat
Summer Serve - Wescott
Defensive Player of the Year - Creepy / Jim Back
Drunkest Panda – Marla

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:46 pm 

I just found the list of the 2005 winners!

MVP - Mikey
Rookie of the Year - Creepy
Most Improved Player – Beth / Jess
Server of the Year - Chief
Summer Serve - Matt
Defensive Player of the Year – Pat / Beth
Drunkest Panda – Chief
Dirtiest Player – Deto
Sportsmanship Award – Jess / Chief

http://www.watervolleyball.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=64

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:17 am 

Dan,

Congratulations on your video accomplishments. Now comes the time that all Pandas seem to hate... The Scheduling.

Dan did the work to make our video presentation timely for a change, Dan made the proposal for the location of the council meeting. I second the motion.

Two big questions--when the council meeting is. Followed by, who will attend?

As sad as this makes me, there are many Pandas who ignore the website. You know who you are. In this rare instance I will name names. I have reached out to Dave, who is on board for a council meeting, and Jared, who has not responded yet.

Lecture I shall. Listen up, people, I have to give this speech every year. Showing up for a pre-awards council meeting is not supposed to be a pain in the ass. It's a chance to reunite with friends and fellow players, and, dare I say, have some input on what is going to go down, both at the awards, and forevermore in the league.

Followed by, an awards ceremony is not supposed to be a pain in the ass. See above. It is supposed to be the culmination of our achievements, and a chance for all Pandas to celebrate excellence. And hell, I thought y'all liked to party. Was I wrong?

So, let's get to it. My dance card is open. I am cognizant of the fact that not all Pandas check the website. Julio "fixed" my phone so I lost a lotta numbers.

What I'm getting at, Pandas, is use your mobile telephone machines, and spread the word far and wide, even to LJ(!), about what we are planning. Give it about a week for people to respond. After that, they shall be considered notified, and plans must move forward apace.

I therefore propose, that, as of Jan 15, the council meeting will be set at Creepy's convenience (please give me a day or so notice). And the devil take the hindmost who is not there.

At that time, we will attempt to convene with Jared, who has been disturbingly unresponsive of late. Should he fail to achieve between now and the council meeting, I propose a new venue will be agreed upon at the council meeting.

The former Chief of the Argosy has spoken. Hopefully wisely...

PS Point of Order: I'm told Dave and Jess split last year's point guard award. I thought Dave won it. Please clarify.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:35 am 

I've been to council meetings where people weren't nominated then they were nominated later. Also, I haven't won an award since rookie of the year. Poor me. My faith in the system is lost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:20 pm 

We try to be as fair as we can. :heart:

I'd vote for you for hairiest player of the year Ford.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:58 pm 

Nominations are dumb. Come up with a player list, and let people fill em in. Unless you hate freedom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:06 pm 

I love freedom so I say let's try it without nominations and see how it goes.

I'll get started on an alphabetical list.

We can discuss this at the meeting.

Maybe we should change up the awards a little.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:13 am 

I thought we kind of dealt with the issue of nominees when we allowed for write in candidates, and emphasized at ceremony when ballots were handed out you could vote for whoever you want.

Here's the concerns:

You're going to give Pandas an Afghan ballot, with everyone's name listed for every award, and have them check a box? You're looking at like a 10 page ballot. What if the alphabetical list is incomplete? Will there still be a write in, so that Elmer Fudd could win?

Conversely, you're going to give Pandas TWO documents to keep track of and read? A list and a ballot?

Sorry, they've had enough trouble with one. Prepare for the mayhem: "There are too many names. This is confusing. There are too many choices. What am I supposed to do? You expect me to read this? I can't read!"

Last I checked, every awards ceremony out there has nominees. I suppose there is no problem with trying something new. But be warned, for every "solution" you can come up with, there will be a Panda who thinks you are a poopy head, who has denied them their cheese.

Issue #2--change up the awards. No problem. They have evolved over time. Look forward to talking about it. What should we all agree to honor?

I have an idea : ) how about a Defenders of the Faith award for the team that went to Dallas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:56 am 

Another thought:

At the awards ceremony that ended awards ceremonies for 2 years(!), Bunny had an interesting idea that we enacted on the fly:

All Pandas who showed up had their names put in a hat. Then another Panda had to step up and draw a name (discarding his/her own), and say something POSITIVE about the name that was drawn.

Maybe that plan could come back?

Too bad Soul Glow doesn't still play, so we could rig the hat and make Wescott draw last in a hat full of Glo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:49 am 

Chief wrote:
I thought we kind of dealt with the issue of nominees when we allowed for write in candidates, and emphasized at ceremony when ballots were handed out you could vote for whoever you want.

Here's the concerns:

You're going to give Pandas an Afghan ballot, with everyone's name listed for every award, and have them check a box? You're looking at like a 10 page ballot. What if the alphabetical list is incomplete? Will there still be a write in, so that Elmer Fudd could win?

Conversely, you're going to give Pandas TWO documents to keep track of and read? A list and a ballot?

Sorry, they've had enough trouble with one. Prepare for the mayhem: "There are too many names. This is confusing. There are too many choices. What am I supposed to do? You expect me to read this? I can't read!"

Last I checked, every awards ceremony out there has nominees. I suppose there is no problem with trying something new. But be warned, for every "solution" you can come up with, there will be a Panda who thinks you are a poopy head, who has denied them their cheese.

Well, people seem to have a problem with nominees, so I say let's try Pat's suggestion. 2 pages: a ballot and a list of names. All write-ins.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:59 pm 

I have written the list of names. Looks to be thorough. We can review it.

I propose the council meeting to occur next Saturday 1/18 at my place. We can watch football and discuss things.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:00 am 

Why not? It has the advantage of never being tried. Now, will logic dictate and only players who played this year will be on the list, or can you nominate Jim Back and Deto?

Also, if memory serves, what Ford was bitching about was OJ, who was at the council meeting, later unilaterally demanding changes in the ballot.

New plan for a new ceremony. I'm on board. Alright then, let's get down to it boppers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV9e9SYYtwA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:05 am 

You can write in any being in the universe.

The list will be of the 2013 AWVP players who made an appearance.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:11 pm 

Whoops. The football games next weekend are all on Sunday.

We could have the meeting of the minds on Sunday afternoon 1/19/14

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:04 am 

IMHO, football and watervolleyball don't mix. Never have. People might have plans for the games. Also, far too distracting. What are we gonna do, talk during commercials?

I'd say you were right the first time. Do it on Saturday.

Let's get the day/time for council meeting nailed down ASAP.

I'm amused that, since Pandas thought democracy (i.e., ballots, voting) were a disaster, the answer is even more democracy!

We shall know soon enough.

And now, deep thoughts in preparation for the Council:

If this new freewheeling approach is a harbinger of things to come, heed my words: "Everyone chooses their own level of involvement" is indeed one of our credos, but if that turns into, "Everyone does whatever they want" then you are dangerously close to the Riata ethos, which you claim you hate.

A league without structure is no league at all.

I suppose I should be pleased that a generation of players has grown up thinking that keeping the AWVP fully staffed, trained, and combat ready at championship level with places to play is a process that naturally takes care of itself. Not so. There are plenty of my posts that say different, which were blissfully ignored.

Chief is a poopy head, and I like cheese : )
If you don't do your homework, you can't have any cheese. How can you have any cheese if you don't do your homework!?

As the SS Argosy was going down, I even tried to make sure that there would be a fallback position--not ideal, to be sure, but proven game. Clearly people don't like the Riata cheese, and I don't much blame them.

The option offered something, vs. nothing. Because, as usual, most everyone else was else was having a good time obeying their basic instincts and doing what was easy, blowing up the sunshine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUzd9KyIDrM

So, with no other proven options on the horizon, one tries to provide the greatest good for the greatest number, even if it's "tasty wheat" (see Matrix).

In terms of finding a new home for lost Pandas, paradropping into a venue and taking it over probably ain't going to work--see Marquis de Faggotry, Mirage, well intentioned attempts this season, and the long list of pools in the Dallas area the Ronins can tell you about.

Short term slash and burn solutions may seem attractive to some people, but I don't see how it will work in terms of securing a new place to play or keeping Panda Corps filled with fresh converts in the long term.

Thus, once we get done with the most important issue on the table: how to honor ourselves this year, I humbly recommend we get to issue #2: What else ya got!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:24 pm 

i like cheese and can wear tacos

in short, yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:14 pm 

Council meeting is this Saturday 3:00 pm at my place

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:11 am 

IN.

I have not been to the latest incarnation of the Creepy Mansion. Address at some point.

I will send The Word via text but you may want to second. Also, I lack current Dub, LJ, Riata Ryan's #.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:43 am 

While I'm thinking about these things...

some "names" for the list. New players are all Riata or Jared Harem this year:

Alex
Tim
Big Ben
Riata Ryan
The Flyin Hawaiian
Tiffany
Eric/Wings

LJ's buddy Sander Rafa

Little Riata TJ should also be on the list. He worked hard this year.

In terms of voting at the actual ceremony. With no nominees, are you planning on having a certain period of "talk amongst yourselves about the season" before doing the do?

If so, I expect a certain amount of lobbying will take place.

These things are always pure chaos, so be ready to put a timer on it. With no nominees, talky time will probably need to be extended a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:47 pm 

OK good. I'll add some of those names that I didn't have.

I think it'll be good to label who is a rookie on the list of names, so people know.

I'm not sure who is considered a rookie at Riata.

At Deerfield, I suppose every Deerfield player is considered an AWVP rookie:
Rob, Andrew, Michael, Brian

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:40 am 

All the names I put up in the last post minus lil TJ and Sander Rafa are rookies.

Thinking it out a bit, probably best to have a rookie designation without naming the venue to avoid prejudice of any sort. I would consider all the Deerfield players to be rookies, but I suppose that the designation can be ironed out at the council meeting.

There will no doubt be a great deal of confusion with a long list of names--"who is that?" We will have to make sure as a group of planners that we are available to explain.

In the past voting has been allowed by sealed ballot (I'm thinking Big Shot Rob here). Will this continue? Should voting be allowed by email?

I spoke with Jared. He should be available by phone for the council meeting, so we should make a serious effort to come up with a date. He says the concept of a party at his place has been approved by the landlord, since that's pretty much what they do all the time anyway(!)

Have the texts carrying the Good News been sent far and wide? I've done my part. Time is now short.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:19 pm 

Since the downfall of the Argosy on June 5, 2012, the core AWVP players have become nomadic ronins wandering the obstacles of the world.

Therefore, on the list of names I would like to indicate the venue for players who are not traveling ronins. I think it will avoid confusion to indicate Riata or Deerfield.

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:33 pm 

Dan wrote:
Since the downfall of the Argosy on June 5, 2012, the core AWVP players......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:13 am 

The Doctor is a great analogy.

My time is about done playing the role. Who will sign up to be the next Dread Pirate Chief???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:48 pm 

The list is ready to go.

I have seen the deeper angle dimensions of this new voting system and it appears that we may all need to use greater brain power.

Oh well, Let's get it on!

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:48 am 

Objection. Vague; potentially overly profound.

Let's see what will happen with the meeting of minds on Saturday/tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:36 am 

My guess from past history is something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X69aDIFFsc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:10 pm 

Tentative Awards Ceremony date is Saturday March 1st at Chief's house!

I have a lot of videos done and will be making an AWVP 2013 DVD!

It might blow your mind :rolleyes:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:43 pm 

Breaking news!

The Awards Ceremony date is up in the air.

My name's Dan