AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Are your team members willing to travel to Dallas on a weekend and take on our team?
Poll ended at Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:14 pm
Yes 100%  100%  [ 4 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: Post Season Play
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:14 pm 

I must admit that I think I have struck gold with you guys. And, if you're interested and we can pull it together, would water volleyball players in Austin care to accept a challenge from some Dallas players? We think that we're the best and need some competitive players to put us in check, or even checkmate if you are indeed better than us.

The management staff at ilume in Dallas (www.ilume.com) are working on getting the pool heater replaced so that we can extend our playing season. They have authorized me issue this challenge to you guys. We are also working on the owner here to award The ilume Cup to the winner. The ilume does have rentable units that you guys could stay here on property with us over a weekend. We could pobably even get a DJ to spin music for us. But, sometime in 2 - 4 weeks is what we're thinking.

All else can be discussed.

I stumbled across you guys when I was looking for more (a challenge in the water) and have spoken about you to several of my friends. We have a great group of guys that play pretty much all summer until it gets too cold to play, then we go through 7 or 8 months of withdrawal until we can play again. We hope that this could be the begginning of something wonderful in the world of water volleyball!

Thanks!
sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:09 pm 

I vote yes

We'll want to video tape our domination of your players

:drinkers:

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:31 pm 

You've got the easy part done, Dan! You've thought it and let your fingers type it out. Now, Bring It! 8)

We would love to play host for you guys and have a blow out time playing great ball. The community here is very nice and set up for a party inside a secure perimeter. We are allowed as many guests as we want and we have the owner's support for building out competitive ball in the pool. The ilume Cup was his idea. He's building 7 more communities across the country and we're discussing being able to play against the new ones as they come online.

Where can I post or email some photos of the pool?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:44 pm 

So let it be written, so let it be done. This year. With a heated pool, plenty of time to draw up a challenge. Dimensions would be helpful.

Dan handles website. He will provide info as to where pool pics etc. should go.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:34 am 

You can upload the photos to site like:
http://tinypic.com/index.php
or
http://www.photobucket.com/

and then use the url to post them here as follows:
[img]url[/img]

Please do. We'd like to see them.

Or just email them to me at creepspiracy@hotmail.com and I'll post them!

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:19 am 

I believe JimBack just catfished yall once again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:27 pm 

Steven emailed me some photos

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:09 pm 

Taken from my balcony. I am looking for some of my night shot photos to share, too. We can play up until midnight on Saturdays. It would be fun to host you guys over a well-planned Saturday & Sunday in the next 2 - 4 weeks. What date(s) would work best for you guys? Plus, I am sure that we can get a DJ to spin music for us and make the Sunday a party event for a 2 out of 3 game competition. You would be able to have the Saturday to have some fun play and get used to the pool.

Do you guys have a set of written rules? If not, we can have a set drafted and agreed to prior to playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:12 pm 

We also have grills located inside the pool area that we usually use to fix dinner or something light on days that we play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:19 am 

Don't see a back line.

One recommendation--keep your spectators out of the court, or give em fair warning. They run the risk of getting hit by flying bodies or volleyballs.

Our Dallas connections have been informed of your existence. They should be contacting you. Expect a visitation. There is other intelligent life in the universe.

Welcome to the universe! Your world has already changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:41 am 

Hard to tell from the dimensions, but consider playing full court!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:27 am 

I am in on this. Have to run tape down the lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:39 pm 

I have discussed this with folks here as well. I am actually going to see about being able to install clamps, eye bolts, and rope to well define the boundaries such that we can install and remove very easily and not affect the pool as is. Right now, the most annoying thing about the play is the hot tub wall and the limitations we have where it is located. I can't fix that now, but I am sure that Luke (the owner) will listen to me when we express what he needs to do to improve the playability of the pool. But, your additional feedback is welcome.

Looking forward to meeting the fellows up here that want to come scope it all out. We are actually going to be playing this evening around 6PM if they would like to come play, too.

Thanks,
sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:16 pm 

is this real life!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:17 pm 

is this jim back?

so who is going up this weekend chief? from dallas i mean? who is up there....keith? jared? i would get ronin to get keith as an idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:41 pm 

I've passed his contact info along to the guys Charlie, Keith and I know. Same guys from the videos I posted a couple weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc1uikAaBOo (2009 @ Village)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Af4xrKzvt4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:00 pm 

make it so sir. make it so

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:40 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:15 pm 

Here are higher quality photos:

http://www.watervolleyball.net/ILUME-1.JPG
http://www.watervolleyball.net/ILUME-2.JPG
http://www.watervolleyball.net/ILUME-3.JPG

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:33 am 

Calm down, people. One step at a time. This conversation will hopefully be beneficial to all.

Right now we're in the Dallas on Dallas crime phase.

Scouting report comes in as advertised and everyone is happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:28 pm 

Oh my

:roflmao:

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/NmF8lzC0P_s?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/NmF8lzC0P_s?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Looks like y'all party up there.

To let you know... we are straight, except for maybe Jim Back. :roll:

How's that pool heater repair coming along?

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:26 am 

Let me weigh in on this one:

The AWVP cares not about race, color, creed, political affiliation, or sexual preference.

It's about the game. Can you play it?

Looks like there's a lotta distraction up there. Kinda like Riata times 10 in terms of managing game vs party.

Because if its typical for Wonder Woman to jump in the pool in the middle of the game, or for people with floaties to wander through the court, and you gotta wait for them to do whatever they're doing, because the party is more important than the game, then gentlemen, we have a problem.

I think I speak for most of my crew. Pandas love a party. But what they hate is partiers sashaying through the court in the middle of a game.

That's not how it works, is it???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:17 pm 

>>The AWVP cares not about race, color, creed, political affiliation,
>>or sexual preference.
>>
>>It's about the game. Can you play it?
>>

We agree! We are human beings that like to play competitve ball. We do not care about all the other BS.

While we do know how to throw a party, the video you turned up does not really accurately represent the ilume today. That was shot 4 years ago when they first open. Queers are fickle! (I mean no derogatory use of the word queer). They have moved their parties to other locations, but we do still have a group that likes the party here. However, MOST of the other pool goers steer clear of the play area when we play. The most that get is some of the folks hanging on the edge at the corner from where we serve. That's about it. Plus, management here supports our ability to play. However, there is just a level of mutual respect that goes around amongst the players and non-players.

I am still trying to find out the estimated completion date for getting the pool heater replaced. I will update when I know more. Otherwise, we have both gay and straight folks that play ball with us. We do not care that your (mostly) straight. In fact, a few of the guys were trying to keep it all under wraps so that when we beat you guys, they wanted to be able to say that a "bunch of queens" beat the straight guys in ball. They like to talk smack as much as you guys do. However, I guarantee you that no one here has any ill intent, is intollerant, or any thing else that would cause a problem. We just are a group of guys that like to play water volleyball and be winners at it. Our losses help us to be better losers as well as winners. We want a challenge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:31 pm 

BTW, I am a very open and honest person. I am "the coach" around here, which means I'm the one that has to settle disputes, keep everybody happy when they're down, and encourage them to realize "yes they can" when they think "no they can't".

You can read all about me at www.facebook.com/steven.mcfarland2.

Connect with me if you want, or don't. Not necessary. But you'll be able to see the level of humanity that I expect from everybody. I dealt with enough of the BS for years. I am very comfortable in my own skin after having been afraid for many years of my life.

We believe that we will all be better off being able to integrate more serious players into our group. So, come be a part of this. Rise to the challenge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:51 pm 

<object width="800" height="600"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=67485343&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0"><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=67485343&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="500" height="375"></embed></object>

Steven, you seem like a cool dude. Here is one of the AWVP's most historical and best games. Way back in the day at the Argosy Apartments. The Vets vs. the Wild OJ Creep Show

My name's Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:46 pm 

Steven,

like Dan said. We mean no disrespect.

You must forgive some of our trepidation--there have been a lot of hoaxes and disappointments. And my crew is not exactly the best at planning in the world.

However, I have been working to see who is interested and what their schedules look like. I can probably come up with 5-6 players, which is what it looks like it takes.

The heater may be the key, because the earliest I can make it is 10/26 weekend. And we're racing against the weather at that point.

Not that my schedule is the be all and end all. It just is what it is. And we're kind of racing against time, weather wise here.

In summary, there is interest in accepting your challenge. If I can't get the full 5-6 that appears to be required, I may try to borrow some of Ronin Steve's friends from Dallas, or a couple of players you may be able to spare.

What's important here is showing the flag, meeting new people, and thereby improving the play of all.

I don't know if I'd go as far as calling my AWVP players human beings though, unless someone is throwing volleyballs at them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH5R4tgGdDk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:08 am 

Yeah. You don't much I hate the game that got posted. Oh, wait, all the Vet Killers know exactly how much I hate that game!

And yet, it s the most watched video we have.

Sooo, I try to focus on the positive, because of what this game represented.

I'm the historian in the group, so let me shed some light. Context is crucial--the Vets had never lost, in any combination, ever. Until this day. My excuses for the loss don't really matter--the scoreboard spoke louder, and woulda coulda shoulda don't mean squat. I played poorly, and scared, which means the winners did their job well.

What this represented was a bit of a transition, a changing of the guard, if you will. New players did something good. And there was a great deal of celebration.

And, despite my dissatisfaction and personal shame at the result (sure as hell wasn't my best game), I realized that my own demise was good for the league. 10 years of dominance was probably too long. After this day, for real, anyone who put in the time and had the ability could be a god for 20 minutes.

And on that note, I will remind the Vet Killers about their most famous omission in showing this video. Their reign lasted all of about a month, when the Vet Killers were handily dispatched by the "Young Bloods"--another team waiting in the wings, who had never played together. Which made their win, I thought, especially spectacular.

Somehow film of that game never gets shown!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:17 am 

From that day in 2007 to this, I have never been able to assemble the Vets on the court again. They refuse. Which means that the defeat messed with some peoples fee fees more than mine.

End of one era, beginning of another. Glad I'm still a part of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:47 am 

Awesome, guys! We really just like to play ball!

Heater Update: I spoke with the folks in the management office yesterday. Andrew at the corporate level was there. He worked it all out with the Assistant Community Director for what all he needed for signing off on having the new heater installed. I don't want to be a pest to them, but Ernesto has stated that it's ok for me to keep checking up on the heater. The current plan is to still have it installed and operational within a week or two. Regardless, they are committed and are helping plan the party event(s) that will happen on October 26.

There will be a Halloween Party here that weekend, whether you boyz are here, or not. It will be fun, and I would hate that you had to miss it. So, please plan for 10/26. My thought has changed a bit on that, too. I think that it's best to have game day on Saturday, 10/26 and NOT on Sunday. If you guys go to the block party on Saturday night, then I would not want to hear any excuses out of you guys about drinking too much the night before as the reason for your poor field performance. (I know, I know...I'm less than sympathetic, huh?!)

Please let me know what else we can do to help plan and prepare for this.

Thanks,
sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:40 am 

Talk about not paying attention (my guys will get that).

I am sitting here and realized that the guys that working around the hot tub area were actually draining it. That's actually good news, I'm sure. I know from the conversation with Andrew and Ernesto last night is that the heater on the hot was the heater that went bad, and that they had robbed the heater from the pool to keep the hot tub running. Thus, the heater really needing to be replaced is that on the hot tub. I'll check to see if they are moving the heater from the hot tub back to the pool. They may be only changing the burned out light for all that I know.

I will post an update later when I know more.