AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Constructive criticism
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:09 pm 

Here's a thought...

For those, actually one person, who has commented that our game is stale, boring, and the same every time, how would you suggest we enliven it?

I hope all, rather than one naysayer, will comment on this.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:12 am 

Happy Friday...I hadnt checked site since last wknd...

A very good question...Much of this has been covered many times tho...I dont think I am adding much that Mikey, you, or me havent covered in the past:

Dont play angry, share the ball w/ buoys (I admittedly have big problems w/ that one), get in and out of the pool to play quickly (this one drives me crazy as yall all know w/ Crawfish drawing much of my ire for slow game restarts between games), encourage the girl rule we had in Dallas (if one team has 2 the other has to have 2 and so on), get there a bit earlier to not have to compete w/ the inherent chaos of Riata (it is also easier to incorporate new players earlier in the day), dont do the radio battle w/ the other DJs that bring speakers, dont emphatically spike on/block girls (Creepy), and dont play two man games (Ford/Jess)...

Play and act like Pat & Nice Beth...I need to work on that, too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:48 am 

Agreed, across the board. But remember to practice what you preach, Sir Lip.

Riata residents don't have to worry as much, but I'm always mindful that I don't live there. So, when I'm trying to get a buoy (but a regular buoy so far this year) in the mix who's been asking to play for 3 games, to the extent that I am willing to sit out to let this person in, and what I get from Herr Lippmeister is, "Chief, stop being nice."

It's going to take a bit more work to enforce BBG up there...

Also, at least so far, the ladies have proven to be just a bit difficult.

They want to get in the pool en masse, they don't want to split up and play with people they don't know, then they get frustrated when they end up in a one quickly done game situation.

I don't have much of an answer for that, except we tried it their way, maybe they should try to integrate into the program next time, or history is likely to repeat itself for the foreseeable future.

Misty, who is a very good player, has been up in my grill with "it's just a game, Fokker," comments ever since I showed up this year, and tends to leave when the interloping "bad guys" arrive. This gives me a sad, but I'm not sure what to do about it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:00 am 

That guy was drunk when we showed up, and was trying to play b2b games over and over from beginning of day even right after he lost...That was my issue w/ being nice to him late in day when we were trying to get one BBG in...He isnt going to remember anyway, and his ire will be at me because early in day I had told him the way things were going to go on the shirts tied up...

As to ladies situation is is disheartening for them to get in, get stomped, not come back, and call us the neanderthals we have been called for years...Dont know what to do on that either...

I thought overall Saturday went very well tho...

Yes, Creepy, you didnt miss a serve in any of the games I was in w/ or vs you...Damnit! Ha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:04 am 

As to Misty, and Edub will concur on this...She is a bad @ss female athlete...Also, a true introvert different girl who is literally female version of Rainman...There is no grey area w/ her...She cant comprehend joke, sarcasm, or any type of criticism...Hell, I have known her for 4 plus years from sand side of things...She even cant take compliments either...She doesnt live at Riata, and there is NOTHING, I MEAN NOTHING we can do to placate her...She is just that different...I seriously think she has a touch of Aspergers (sp?) and/or Autism, so dont worry about improving or solving that situation...You might as well try to build a staircase to moon or get you to pass more :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:38 pm 

sir - is misty the girl there on saturday playing before we really got going. she has balled for a few years. she recognized us and said hi. i think she is cool. and i think that is who you are talking about as yes she good.

hard to have the fun games (with chicks) when we are roasting outside waiting to get in. just too many people and too little pool, and too much turnover time. even though i must say saturday showed some serious improvement in turnover time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:07 am 

I understand all this, all too well. I had enough trouble pleasing everyone at Argosy.

However, at the risk of having a hammer, and seeing every problem as a nail, my only recommendation is, keep on keeping on.

By which I mean this: our SPORT is disrespected. What we do in 4 ft of water is not recreation.

I have great respect for Misty as an athlete. If she wanted to, she could probably start in any BBG we wanted to set up, and is better than any female Panda coming out of Argosy.

But she mocks our "seriousness."

Well, let's turn that around. I assume she plays sand, right? Should her sand games be invaded by drunkards and children, because you don't want to take yourself too seriously, right?

Broken record, but do people regularly decide to camp out on the sidelines of sand courts and drink beer, or wander through the game in the middle of it?

I think not.

Here's the respect I have for the sand game: I don't play! Because I realize they're different games, and the only reason I should be involved in a sand game is if you were short a player, Riata pool style. The pros are going to be frustrated and I will stink up the court. It's not that I don't want to learn, but I'm out there with pros, doing things wrong.

One difference--I wouldn't bitch about the rules--we water guys get called for double contact every time on sets. That's true, despite the odd concepts of physics behind a sand set, which looks like a carry to me...

But I digress. Back to water.

I disagree that it is impossible to run the Riata. It's impossible to run it like Argosy, but you can get close.

Godammit, I was running the place before Tbone, Dub, or Lip deigned to show up. And, like I said, that puts me on thin ice. I need the help and support of you Riata residents.l They're almost all new, and had no idea there was anyone in charge there.

That let the Pandas in the door, to do what, for whatever reason, Riata residents don't want to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI6sARmxEuc

And I'm not talking about the Superteam concept here. Argosy has defeated that and then suggested alternatives. Make the games even, but good.

Tbone seems to have a good idea, in that you let the children with waterwings play their interminable games to 21 every once in a while. Then kick em out.

I tried to give you guys a whiteboard, but I heard it was worse than shirts.

What really seems to be the problem up there is that potentially good players up there remain potentially good players. They refuse to engage, as it were.

As such, they remind me of when I first met Mikey, and his younger, taller, stronger, superiorly athletic group, that would lose to my motley crew.

The paraphrased response: "We're done here, and we're going to play 2 more sports, and hit 5 more parties, because we're young, and that's how we roll."

Granted, I was a grandpa at 29, but my response was, "Maybe if you focused more on this one thing, you might win, and could then go on to do all the other things you're gonna do."

I'm not sure how to teach that lesson to the Riata, but I ain't done trying.

The drunk guys LJ mentions are drunk and not good. But, at least for a moment, they want to play on good teams and want to learn. Some of them are better than others. They say they like me and like my style, which, by declension, means that they are willing to accept the AWVP way of war. That's more than I've seen from the venue in quite some time.

Not my place to say how games run up there. But no one else has been! And that concerns me. If there's going to be any sort of law and order up there, I need backup.

Godammit man, why do I have a better assessment of the potential Riata talent pool than "you" do? Get with the program. Teach, and train, or we lose potential recruits for Panda Corps.