AWVP

Association of Water Volleyball Professionals
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AWVP Glossary of Terms
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:12 pm 

This post is for all Pandas and Koalas alike. Even you are New Blood, this is your opportunity to learn the rich vocabulary of the AWVP. Edumacate thyself! As some of you know, last fall I did a project for one of my classes on the vocabulary that has developed around the AWVP. This is the result.

Note: If you can think of any more terms that I have left out, simply post them as a comment and then define the term.

10-cent head—Phrase coined for the notoriously unstable Jimback, an excellent player known for making stupid plays. His head is 90-cents short of a dollar. To have a 10-cent head is to possess lower than normal mental capacities.
25-cent head—Phrase coined for Wild Boy Kevin, T2. He is notorious for being out of position for no reason and attempting difficult shots just to attempt difficult shots. Clearly not of a 10-cent variety, but something short of a dollar.
Amatuers or “F***ing Amatuers—Anyone who plays watervolleyball at a level lower than the AWVP. See The Big Lebowski.
Anarchy—Constant state in which the AWVP exists.
*AWVP—Formerly Argosy Fight Club. Still free to all.

Editor’s note—Stands for Association of Watervolleyball Professionals. Maintains the website, www.watervolleyball.net, which is one of the first five hits on Google when entering either “watervolleyball” or “water volleyball.”
Back—See Brokeback Mountain. This term became applied to a player named Jim after he repeatedly referenced the movie and because of his homoerotic comments and actions. He became Jimback. The term came to refer to someone who often gets out of the pool and leaves the game because of unhappiness with a call, which Jim does repeatedly. I briefly applied the name Wesback after leaving the pool because of a contested net call. “Back” is added as a suffix to the person’s name.
Blah—Guttural ejaculation made famous by Jess Sorenson. Often uttered during or after important points and echoed by teammates. Also one of Jess’s nicknames. It is also important to note that Jess has his own language of incomprehensible gibberish uttered in lieu of saying the score.
*Buoy—Description of a useless player. My addition,
"Ding, Ding!" You know this one when you see it—no 
initiative, fear of the ball, etc.

“Coast to Coast”—A spike hit from one side of the pool to the other, cross court.
Flexbone—A strategy developed during the 2006 season in which a player from the back row moves towards the net to attempt a spike. Often resorted by when the Wild Boys are present or the front line is being dominated by the opponent.
Flipper—The signature shot of Wild Boy Kevin, in which he hits the ball with the back of his hand. Often an emergency shot.
High line—A high and wide set that the hitter cannot reach. It is often said that “you cannot live on the high line.”
“Hit from the 4”—At the Argosy, a tile that indicates a depth of 4 feet is roughly equidistant from the net to the edge of the pool. Hitting from the 4 is difficult because it requires elevation and consistent contact. Mike Markides is known for these shots.
Holy Waters—The water of the Argosy pool. The water was blessed when the coming of the Savior, Mike Markides, when the game was in decline. The Holy Waters are said to have extraordinary healing properties, but are not suggested for consumption. The Holy Waters were blessed by the Second Coming, the Orange Jesus, Gabe Leingang.
*"Hump in shame" or “shame hump”—Kevin Knibb Original. Based off of the first
time the Wild Boys came to take me down (see above) 
My line was this, "They may have hot girlfriends (hat
tip, Auntie Rachel, Jess’ girlfriend), but they lost. So tonight, they
hump in shame.

Funniest line--TJ: "What is hump in shame?" He was
told, and he fit the description. TJ : "NO! I don't
hump in shame!" Sorry, you do today, big fella!
Indian Creek Massacre—Infamous moment in the growth of the AWVP. Occurred at the Indian Creek apartment complex, when vet players descended on the pool and proceeded to destroy the residents in a game. Such destructions are often accompanied by looks of incomprehension.
Koalas—Derogatory name for a watervolleyballer not belonging to the AWVP. 

Monkey/Monkeyball/Jungleball—Phrase coined in the 2007 season referring to an infamous incident in which Ronin Steve broke a netpole in half while hanging on the net. The AWVP allows players to touch the net during points, although many attempts have been made to outlaw the practice.
Moonball—A high-arcing serve from the hand of Jess Sorenson. The serve is notorious for jamming fingers and shaming rookies. Often makes appearances when the moon is out.
New Blood-As many players move into and out of the AWVP because of life circumstances, New Blood sustains the league by infusing it with new players.
*Nicknames—Most people have them. I'm more or less in
charge of doling them out. Think of the inspiration
motivating John Belushi in Animal House and you'll
have it about right. Editor’s note—Nicknames include Chief, Jesus, T2 (Terminator reference), Creepy Guy, Tattoo Jim, Sheriff (mine actually), SoulGlo, Tinman, Bunny (Big Lebowski reference), Marla (Fight Club reference), etc.
*Obstacle—The forum in which we do battle. See Full
Metal Jacket. Editor's Note-The Obstacle specifically refers to the Argosy pool, now known (and very classy I might add) as the Argosy at Crestview. Even though there are no crests in the area.
Office Monkeys—People who work in the offices of apartment complexes who will not allow league playdays to occur at the pool if the ratio of residents to players does not fit their criteria. Since Kevin is the only resident at the Argosy who consistently plays, this becomes a problem for the league.
“Onset of the barbarian hordes”—Expression used to denote many Pandas descending on an unsuspecting pool with the intentions of bringing great shame to local residents. A Kevin Knibbe creation, grown out of his avatar of Russell Crowe’s character from Gladiator.
“Out of your element”—See The Big Lebowski. This comment is often made to a player who continually misses shots or is playing poorly that day. It suggests that the pool is not a good place for them to be and that they are an inadequate watervolleyballer.
*"Out on Navy!" –Self explanatory for the most stubborn
person I've ever seen in the pool. He keeps making
sand ball plays in water, and then is confused when
they don't work.
Orb-The ball used for play and also the sun, the great orb in the sky, which often blesses playdays--except for the Worst Season Ever, that is.
“Pack it in”—Phrase used when a losing team appears to be giving up and should just give up and get out of the pool. Jimback, known for giving up and leaving the pool before a game is over, is the frequent recipient of this comment.
*Panda—Member of the group. Made man/woman--NOT to be
messed with—especially since Pandas often are reluctant to perpetuate their species. (origin--Fight Club). Editor’s note—the AWVP is often referred to as Fight Club, while to play is to fight.
*Poctar—Anus. See "Star Trek Enterprise." However,
the adaptation is somewhat idiomatic. It's the only T
shirt out there for the AWVP. Editor’s note—I find it amusing that one league participant notes on the website that his location is “In front of my poctar.”
Pro form—In a 3’s game, the non-serving team usually places two of its players on the server’s side. In a Pro form alignment, two players are in the back row, with one in the front, playing in the middle. Wild Boy Jess is the progenitor of this particular alignment.
*Ronin—In the Japanese fashion. Masterless men,
with no home. The kind of people who had more lore
than I, and the kind of people I didn't want to be. Editor’s note—often refers to Ronin Steve and Ronin Charlie, who formerly played in Dallas for years before joining the AWVP.
The Savior—Mike Markides. Also known as Jesus, he is famous for resurrecting the game as it declined and spiking the ball harder than anyone else can imagine. Also refers to his remarkable ability to seemingly walk on water and levitate himself above the play. Sunday is his preferred day to fight, as it is his day.
The Second Coming—As mentioned in the Bible. Refers to the appearance of the Orange Jesus, Gabe Leingang. He is also known as the False Messiah.
SoulHole—Developed from the nickname of one player, SoulGlo, infamous for his poor performances and lack of improvement. Finding the SoulHole means an end to the point.
Summer serve—A very poor serve, often one that does not even reach the net. Refers to players who only come out when it is very warm during the summer. There is an award at the Awards Ceremony every season to commemorate the worst “summer server.”
Technology—An encompassing utterance that can describe moving the cooler closer to the pool so people don’t have to get out to get beer, raising the net, or even developing new strategies to use in the pool.
"The Season Which Shall Never Be Spoken Of Again"-The 2007 Watervolleyball season. Not to be spoken of again.
*Vet Tricks—Make the "flow" of the game favor you by
slowing it down.
 Editor’s note—As the skills of the vets slowly erode, this becomes a much more important tactic for them.
*Vets--Ronins with a home. They're supposed to be the
best of the best. Not so much anymore...NOT MY
FAULT. Editor’s note—Jess often referred to the 2007 season as “The Fall of the Vets ’07.” His view was borne out when the vet-killers beat the vets and many vets failed to show up for playdays when the Argosy was closed. See also "Vet tricks."

“Watervolleyball is not a crime”—Utterance heard often during the 2007 season as homeless Pandas wandered from pool to pool when the Argosy was closed. Most pools prohibit more than several non-residents from playing. Often heard after a resident revolt at the La Mirage apartment complex precluded any more playdays being held there. Watervolleyball is in fact not a crime, but it often treated as such by grumpy office managers.
Warpaint—Facial paint often worn by the notoriously unstable Jimback, with the intention of intimidating the opponent. Sometimes worn by other players.
*"Welcome to the NFL, Rookie!"—Comment made by a vet to a rookie player after the rookie has been taken advantage of in the pool, most likely after they have been unable to return a Kevin Knibbe serve.
Wild Boys—The nickname for the combination of Jess Sorenson and his partner in crime, Wild Boy Kevin, also called T2. They are known for being extraordinarily loud and often out of control. One of the primary reasons the AWVP has a poor reputation in certain circles. They are known for frequently flexboning and getting themselves out of position for reasons apparent only to them.
“Worst Season Ever”—Phrase often uttered during the 2007 season by Mike Markides. A result of the closure of the Argosy and unwillingness of the people who worked in the apartment office to allow Kevin Knibbe to hold playdays at the pool. See also “Office Monkeys.”
*indicates a definition developed by Kevin Knibbe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:27 pm 

Water nymph--individual who becomes too intoxicated with their own prancing pool antics to stay focused on the game at hand. See also, boobery

"Indian Creek Massacre" Although the specific historical date has been lost to the ages, the first road trip by an Argosy squad, in which 4 players faced down an entire apartment complex during their welcome new residents pizza party: 21-0, 21-2.

"Play to 21" suggestion by the team that is way behind, usually made when their opponents get above 10. Generally frowned upon because of its Preserve connotations.

Death from above! Fire down below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:29 pm 

Please excuse some of the grammatical errors. Yes, I am an English major, and no, I did not proofread the post particularly well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm 

Point Guard-Generally smaller players without the height to be big hitters, a point guard distributes the ball, a la basketball. Their job, as the editor understands it, is to set, pass to another setter, and dig spikes in the back row. A point guard must have a deep understanding of the game, the tendencies of his hitters, soft hands, split-second decision making abilities, good range, and anticipation. There is some debate about whether a larger, more complete hitter can be a true point guard, or if those skills fall outside of the purview of the "point guard" definition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:48 pm 

The Creator, the Savior, the Second Coming

Watervolleyball theology. The mythos involves three particular players, but is obviously expandable conceptually

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:00 pm 

Bravo to the glossary of terms!

To float a brown trout - to poo in the pool. A phrase created by Tattoo Jim, who has floated a brown trout in Flat Creek each of his two Flipsides (Regional Burning Man). I don't know of any actual brown trouts floated in watervolleyball pools, but I floated a phony brown trout (Baby Ruth) at the Argosy one time. The Jesus of Orange ate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:38 pm 

Chief Alley--window side of the obstacle--describing a serve down the middle that doesn't go in.

Hit the 4, score a point. Almost always true for serves in the Obstacle that that do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:03 pm 

Wet out - Dry in: Phrase that sums up how game rolls at the obstacle - if people that did not play the previous game want to play, people that did just play (the wet ones) must allow the dry to play.

In contrast to "win and you're in" games at lesser pools. This rule generally changes once it is realized that the Argosy freaks are now constantly in your pool and the locals don't get to play. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:02 pm 

Fight! Fight! Fight! Ancient rallying cry urging pandas to unf*ck themselves and get into the healing waters to begin a game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:55 pm 

Find new peoples and kill them: The mission of Safari - going to other pools, demonstrating our water volleyball prowess to and upon their natives, and then serving them the kool-aid (or Natty Light) to bring them into the fold of the water volleyball cult.

Safari: A "field trip" to another pool - in The Season that Will Remain Forgotten, life was near permanent Safari, which made for Sad Pandas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:21 am 

Darkside? Sythe?? Soon the circle will be complete??? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:45 am 

Awesome thread...one of the bests

Additional nicknames and terms: Tinman (6'6" cant move even if oiled w/ many libations and thinks slamming one out of 20 sets is Jordanesque)

The Lip- propensity for one player in particular to talk much shit...coined by Jess for me among other names

Crawfish Jim-"its not a lobster tatoo" heard many times explaining arm ink

Sanders-Sand volleyball players that think their brand of fight is above the AWVP mainly because of net rules ie jungleball

Timeout-scenery is walking by the pool for constuction crew like leering and commenting

Start Time-supposed published via email, text, or website tip off time and location that means real fight will commence at least, and i mean at least an hour after official tip time was ordained...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:38 pm 

Ford brought this to my attention last night:
Pirouette-Play made famous by Ford, aka Shamu. The hitter spins between 180 and 360 degrees to hit a set originating from directly behind him. Ideally sets come from a 45-degree angle, or down the net, but the pirouette play eliminates that need.

"Get Ford Tough"-Approbatory call often heard in the pool following a successful net play by Ford. For the AWVP, this is preferable to being "like a rock," which seems to have no advantage in the game of watervolleyball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:31 am 

Point of clarification on Pirouette-origination was actually TJ...Ford had developed a good version of this agility

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:28 am 

sharking?
black ops?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:07 pm 

Sheriff wrote:

10-cent head—Phrase coined for the notoriously unstable Jimback, an excellent player known for making stupid plays. His head is 90-cents short of a dollar. To have a 10-cent head is to possess lower than normal mental capacities.

Back—See Brokeback Mountain. This term became applied to a player named Jim after he repeatedly referenced the movie and because of his homoerotic comments and actions. He became Jimback. The term came to refer to someone who often gets out of the pool and leaves the game because of unhappiness with a call, which Jim does repeatedly. I briefly applied the name Wesback after leaving the pool because of a contested net call. “Back” is added as a suffix to the person’s name.

Wescott thats not very nice; besides we both know that i'm training to become a cage-fighter. :axe:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:13 pm 

also mr. smartass, next time we are up at the net i will have some surprises for you. be sure to wear your butt plug, brokescott motherfucker :butthead:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:24 pm 

I am not sure if Wescott realizes that Jim's real name is

Jim Back, Jr.

Glitterbug, how clean boys get dirty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:45 pm 

WhiteChocolateDocShizzle wrote:
I am not sure if Wescott realizes that Jim's real name is

Jim Back, Jr.

I am not sure if Doc Shizzle realizes that my real name is James Michael Back :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:49 pm 

No the reason they called you Wesback is because everyone thinks that one day we will get married and you being my wife; you will take my last name. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:52 pm 

Thank you for the correction. I am now enlightened. Out of curiousity what is your dad's name?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:29 pm 

James Greeely Back. Wescott btw the "stupid plays" that i make are probably when I get everyone involded in the game. Sure I could just set to Markides or OJ all day long or just take the second shot all the time. Sure I want to win all the games I play but do not take it to the extreme that others do and others wish to do. I'm there to have fun and help my follow man. There might be 3 complete players in the entire "awvp", you not being one of them. Most of the players out there don't know the difference between their ass and their asshole(don't worry I'll explain it to you some other time); I have bigger fish to fry. However thanks for the concern. You and most everyone else have already failed at the game because when your first premise is wrong, the ones that follow are usaully incorrect. I do infact enjoy the humor in gay and butt jokes however again this doesn't mean that I want to beat you up and then fuck you. Sorry if that is disappointing to you. I guess what I'm trying to say is that before you going writing shit you should have your shit straight. Good day; Bish. :bear:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:16 pm 

Don't disrespect the Jim Back.

--------------------------------------------------------
"If rubbin' frozen dirt in your crotch is wrong...hey, i don't wanna be right."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:12 am 

Tiny Kingdom: applied to a Panda who is short in stature, originally meant only for Deto, but then I White Chocolate come along at an even shorter height. Deto and I will always remember the day that the two Tiny Kingdoms teamed up as a twos teams and beat another twos team as well as a threes, two of the players on the threes team being kelly the belly and Ken, and I believe the third person was Kelly's friend. Not the vet members or vet killers, but two wins none the less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:25 am 

Go! Doc! Go! A cheer created by doc for doc, perverted in its origins. To be applied when doc actually is doing well in the obstacle. Has been known to be infringed upon by inserting other players' names in lieu of Doc!.

I like to get my hands on things. Commonly said whenever Doc touches the orb. Originated when Doc was talking to a pretty girl and was explaining why he likes to work in lab, but that one line happened to be said when the entire crowd at the obstacle happened to be quiet and only heard that line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:12 pm 

I'm sorry Deto is so blasted. I want to help you. If anyone hurts you or affects you in an adverse manner p0lease let me know. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:48 pm 

I'm sorry Doc I was not talking about you , I an=,m drunki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:49 pm 

Two items of business:

Polishing my turd-Phrase often uttered by 2006 MVP Pat after a teammate saves a poor pass.
Pat, what is the origin of this phrase? Does your team have to win the point for the turd to be truly polished?

Secondly, I would like to apologize to Jimback. Or Jim Back, as the greater world knows him. I did not realize that his last name was Back. Juice claims to have informed me of this information, but I don't recall it. So, once again, I apologize for my ignorance, since relieved. I also apologize to Greg Peppers, Two Killa, ATX Dream, and any other persona that inhabits this website as a proxy for one Jim Back. As for the 10-cent head term, I did not create it, but I could have used less strong language. I would rephrase it to say that he occasionally makes ill-advised plays, sometimes out of lack of trust and sometimes because of an excess of trust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:04 pm 

Thumbs--experienced players have them, new ones usually do not.

Then it is just a matter of deploying them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:05 pm 

"Give me the gun" = "I want to serve."

"I'm on the island" = "I'm defending half our side solo on 3's ball."